Sodastream Soda Maker

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I have been looking at Sodastream carbonated beverage machines. Soda pop keeps getting more expensive and I'm starting to have issues with the ingredients in most commercial sodas.

After doing some research, what I have found is Sodastream sells the machine, CO2 cylinder, syrups and accessories to make your own sparkling water, flavored waters or sodas. They price this so it's a little bit cheaper than buying soda at the store. Their machines are basically just simple CO2 cartridge holders that inject the CO2 into the water.

For the amount of work involved with making my own soda, I want to pay a lot less. The costs with using a Sodastream system include the machine itself, the CO2 bottles, both to purchase and to refill and the syrups.

First, the machine itself. I don't want to pay $80-$180 for what is basically a plastic CO2 bottle holder. Shopping around on craigslist, I see the machines for much reduced prices, say $35 for a slightly used machine and accessories.

Second, the CO2 containers. These can be pricey if you get them from Sodastream. I want at least two cylinders so I can always have a full spare. Once again, craiglist has a lot of these available both full and empty. As far as refills, stores charge around $15 per cylinder exchange. This is ridiculous. You can go to Dick's Sporting Goods and refill for around $3.50. If you want to buy a 20 lb. CO2 tank that you can fill your cylinders from, you can get the gas even cheaper. Savings is around half price for the cylinders on craigslist and 1/5th the price if you fill the cylinders yourself.

The syrups, from reviews I have seen, range from terrible to pretty good. Sodastream has 59 flavors available. These syrups are also pricey and an ongoing source of revenue for Sodastream. Looking for a cheaper alternative, I found many sites that offer recipes for syrups and even natural recipes for using fruit and simple syrup or other sweeteners to make a bunch of flavors such as orange creamsicle and many more. Savings from making your own are around half price from the bottled syrups.

Net results are you can make a liter of sparkling water for less than a nickel and flavored sodas/waters for varying amounts all much less than soda costs. Instead of being just a little cheaper, making these drinks can be much cheaper if you do it right.

One other idea which is frowned upon by Sodastream is using the system to make carbonated drinks other than water. Wine becomes sparkling wine. Apple juice becomes sparkling apple juice. Green tea becomes...

Have any of you guys used a Sodastream? Thoughts on it?

Sodastream | Turn Water Into Fresh Sparkling Water And Soda

images

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't even know Dick's could refill CO2.

Paintball CO2 Refill & Tank Refills at DICK'S Sporting Goods

One of the other suggestions I found for filling the Sodastream CO2 cylinder was purchasing a 20 lb. CO2 cylinder and using it to refill the 1 lb. Sodastream cylinder. People on the web were saying they pay $.75-$1.00 per lb. to fill the 20 lb. tank. You'd have the upfront cost of the 20 lb. cylinder and have to store it somewhere but it would cut the fill price down to a buck or two.

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
Buy a 5 or 10lb CO2 tank and one of these The Carbonator - Draft to Go.

I got an awesome 10# tank off @stocktbird cheap, added regulator and a quick connect. I use it for tons of stuff like airbrushing my models, blowing dust out/detailing interiors, carbonating water / making sodas. You might spend more but it will be much cheaper to fill and people always want tanks for kegerators and stuff so they hold value well.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I have one. It takes literally 1 minute from dumping in syrup to when I can drink the soda. But I guess that's to long based on some posts in here

I use it for mixed drinks. I think their cola tastes better than coke or Pepsi

Didn't mean making it. Meant hunting down cheap versions of all the product/equipment.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Didn't mean making it. Meant hunting down cheap versions of all the product/equipment.

Some people (like me) enjoy chasing down bargains. It's a fun hobby that pays off financially. I don't want cheap versions. I want the good stuff for cheap prices. I get a feeling of satisfaction when I get a new toy for what I think is a good price.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
I got a soda stream for free from work last year, it has been good so far. Some of the sodas taste like garbage, the energy drink taste exactly like red bull though and is much cheaper, so that's good if you like red bull(I do).

The $15 for gas isn't bad (they exchange the cylinders at Target for that price), it makes like 64 1 liter bottles, and you would need 2 flavors to make that many bottles. Flavors are $4.99 at meijer, so call it $25 for 32 2 Liters of soda. That is a bit cheaper than buying soda, especially since 2 liters are $1.89 a lot of the time now.

Oh, and it has half the sugar of normal pop, so less guilt.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
There are a LOT of recipes on the internet for mixing up syrups. When I get one of these, I will probably only buy Dr. Pete and Diet Coke premixed. I want to make my own flavors. Orange Creamsicle pop sounds good to me. Raspberry? Strawberry? Peach? Mango? The fruit soda pops may only need fruit and a little simple syrup or artificial sweetener of your choice to taste good.

I'm not a fan of those Sodastream syrups anyway as even the non-diet ones use artificial sweeteners. They do now have an all natural brand but flavours are limited.

I use Monin syrups to make italian sodas. Torani makes a similar product but I like the Monin flavours a bit better. They have lots of different flavours so you could make just about any type of soda you like, including some really obscure ones.

What I do is carbonate the water in the 1 litre bottle and then add 2 ounces (or to your taste) of syrup to the bottle, cap it and then give it a few turns to mix. My girlfriend likes orange but I'll usually mix one ounce of orange and one ounce of vanilla to make a creamsicle. I make a great chocolate soda using these syrups as well. Add a splash of vodka, if you like.]

SodaStream type all natural syrups - Home Brew Forums

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Yes, that's why I look for ways to naturally or artificially sweeten the soda. With my insulin pump, I could crank up the insulin to handle the sugar but I don't want to do that. What I am looking for is carbonated water with fruit or other natural ingredients to flavor it. That's healthy. The only unhealthy part would be the small amount of artificial sweetener needed to make the soda taste better.

From what I have read, the sugar free syrups mostly contain Splenda which does not agree with my stomach. I'm going to replace the Splenda with Equal or Sweet and Low if I need extra sweetening after adding the natural ingredients.

So, the end product I am looking for is:
1. Water
2. Carbonation
3. Orange, stawberry, grapes or fruit of choice
4. Small amount of artificial sweetener.

With these ingredients, homemade soda will be much better for me than store bought diet soda or sugared soda (which I never drink now). Ingredients list is much shorter. Store bought sodas need to be a certain color and survive for weeks or months in transit and on store shelves. Homemade soda will be fresh with no Fructose, preservatives or artificial coloring agents.

LiquidPen

Forum Sponsor
Jun 23, 2011
Bartlett, IL
Yes, that's why I look for ways to naturally or artificially sweeten the soda. With my insulin pump, I could crank up the insulin to handle the sugar but I don't want to do that. What I am looking for is carbonated water with fruit or other natural ingredients to flavor it. That's healthy. The only unhealthy part would be the small amount of artificial sweetener needed to make the soda taste better.

From what I have read, the sugar free syrups mostly contain Splenda which does not agree with my stomach. I'm going to replace the Splenda with Equal or Sweet and Low if I need extra sweetening after adding the natural ingredients.

So, the end product I am looking for is:
1. Water
2. Carbonation
3. Orange, stawberry, grapes or fruit of choice
4. Small amount of artificial sweetener.

With these ingredients, homemade soda will be much better for me than store bought diet soda or sugared soda (which I never drink now). Ingredients list is much shorter. Store bought sodas need to be a certain color and survive for weeks or months in transit and on store shelves. Homemade soda will be fresh with no Fructose, preservatives or artificial coloring agents.

Couldn't you drink this safely?

Coke and Pepsi launch competing green stevia sodas - Oct. 2, 2014

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Stevia is relatively new and the jury is still out on its health effects.

Although stevia is assumed safe by many due to its status as a natural sweetener, the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) notes that being natural does not guarantee safety. Both Canadian and U.S. regulatory agencies have rejected stevia in the past. In addition, a European Community scientific panel made the decision that stevia was not an acceptable food additive. Still, the FDA currently deems stevia safe. It is important to follow manufacturer-recommended serving sizes to help avoid side effects, however. According to WebMD, the side effects of stevia can include nausea, bloating, dizziness, muscle pain and numbness.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I found a lightly used Sodastream Dynamo in Ft. Myers for an asking price of $25 on craiglist. It comes with unopened syrup, partially filled sodastream 130ml tank and three bottles. I'm going down to Ft. Myers next week to get some cigars rolled so I may pick this up. It's the model with the bigger CO2 tank. I can try it for nothing since, if I don't like it, I can turn around and put it back on craigslist for the same amount.

Looks like Dicks sells paintball CO2 tanks for around $20. They fill them the first time for free. After that, it's $4.50 +/- to get a 24oz. tank filled (compared to $30 for the Sodastream tank exchange). The adapter to fit it to the sodastream machine is $20 on Amazon. Total layout to get the machine, the bottles, syrups, a paintball tank and the adapter is around $65.

I also found bulk Crystal Light concentrate packs. 64oz for $73. This is the same solution that you squirt into water bottles to flavor them. Several different flavors. I'm going to try the squirt stuff to see if it tastes OK with carbonated water or if it needs more chemist additives like citric acid or sweetener.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info