Cool. Cooler. Coolest!

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
This cooler has now become the most successful kickstarter product ever. Over $13 mil raised from 60,000 people.

Coolest Cooler is Most Successful Kickstarter Ever - TIME

coolest_river.jpg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Whoops. Great idea, terrible execution.

The Coolest Cooler is turning into one of Kickstarter

Coolest, the company behind a popular Kickstarter-funded cooler, is now selling its product for $499 on Amazon in an effort to raise enough money to continue producing new units. The news may frustrate Kickstarter backers, who were promised the product in February of this year. Coolest said today it now plans to deliver the last shipment of coolers to Kickstarter backers by April 2016.

In a video uploaded to YouTube, CEO Ryan Grepper said the Amazon sale is to "keep the lights on" and "make certain that every single backer's Coolest can get made and shipped." The problem lies in the cooler's blending motor, which is made by a supplier that's currently on strike, he said. Coolest has been unable to find a viable replacement.

KICKSTARTER BACKERS ARE FURIOUS THE COOLEST IS SELLING ON AMAZON

Coolest customers aren't happy. In fact, 1-star Amazon reviews are flowing in from furious backers questioning why the vast majority of units have yet to be shipped.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
After looking at the irate Amazon reviews, the sales of this thing are going to plummet anyways.

You can't take Kickstarter money then blow off the people who gave it to you and sell the product like you have no debts.

to be clear, kickstarter money is not a debt, nor is it a simple purchase of a product.

ie. kickstarter has projects with pledges from backers who receive rewards.

for this thing, i don't really know what is going on with their finances but what if these are their choices?

1. deliver remaining coolest but oops not enough money to get to every backer, declare bankruptcy
2. deliver coolest to all backers but not have enough money to go on, declare bankruptcy
3. deliver coolest to backers at a sustainable rate while also selling coolest on the market to finance ongoing delivery and operations

there's a zillion more ways things could go down but selling them on amazon might be there least worse option. not that i wouldn't be a bit irked myself but hey. and that is a pricey cooler i'd be scared about them still not selling enough and going bankrupt anyway.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Man, you like to argue everything.

The owner of the company is blaming the lack of products on a strike at the company that produces the blender motors. Still, he has enough Coolests to continue to sell them on Amazon. Says he can't get the motors anywhere else. BS. I smell a rat. So do many of the Kickstarter contributors hence the product getting blasted on Amazon.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Man, you like to argue everything.

The owner of the company is blaming the lack of products on a strike at the company that produces the blender motors. Still, he has enough Coolests to continue to sell them on Amazon. Says he can't get the motors anywhere else. BS. I smell a rat. So do many of the Kickstarter contributors hence the product getting blasted on Amazon.

no i don't like to argue everything. i am pointing out the accurate reality of a system that many people do not understand. the kickstarter contributors are just that - project contributors. they are not people simply buying a commercial product from the most financially stable business. there is far more risk than is associated with buying a gopro off amazon.

i also said i don't know their financials - maybe there are shenanigans - but you are acting like there is 100%, and there is no way that it is possible for their best business choice to be trying to sell some product at retail price right now. i'm simply pointing out that it is certainly within the realm of possibility that this is the best thing they can do to keep the doors open and to deliver product to all of their backers.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info