Let's talk Cheese Trays...

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
It's the eternal question. I'm having guests over tonight, what am I going to put on the cheese tray?

OK, not a world shaking question. If you are like me, however, you may have stood in the store looking at the (expensive) specialty cheeses and crackers and wondered what to do.

Here's what I do. I have been buying Sam's Club Black Diamond Select Reserve cheeses. They are in the refrigerated section of Sam's over by the meat. These cheeses come in three varieties in packages that are rectangular and contain a little over a pound of cheese per package. Best part is they are $9.98 a lb. which is inexpensive for specialty cheeses. Sam's carries three varieties, 12 month aged, 2 year and 4 year. I have not tried the 12 month yet.

I buy one package of 2 year and one package of 4 year. The 2 year has a smooth Cheddar flavor while the 4 year is stronger and more developed. My guests enjoy both with maybe a slight preference for the 4 year. I like the 4 year better because of the more complex flavor.

I use my cheese slicer to cut cracker size portions of each cheese and pile them on two sides of my serving platter. I want to use them to frame the platter and leave room in the middle for the WOW cheese plate item.

What is this item? I was at a neighbor's a few weeks back and he had some cream cheese with something red on top of it. He forced my wife and I to try it. It was phenomenally good. Not just a little good. A LOT good.

The recipe? Softened cream cheese spread on bottom of a serving bowl/plate to a height of maybe half an inch. On top of that, Fig jam. The brand I use is Les Comtes de Provence Figue Rouge which is European and can be purchased at TJ Maxx (weird, I know). I assume any good fig jam will work. You don't want the cheap, runny jams. Get the imported thick jam from Europe. Spread a little of this on top of the cream cheese. I add a small serving knife to make it easier to serve and give it a touch of class. This bowl sits in the middle of the Sam's Club cheeses and adds a focal point for the cheese plate.

As far as crackers, I have always hated biting into a cracker and finding out it's some kind of fancy, funky tasting deal. I prefer plain crackers. I use Club crackers and regular Ritz crackers. Both of these crackers provide good bases for the cheese and the cheese/fig mix.

I set this plate out yesterday at a family GTG and had to refill it twice. I know the fig/cream cheese sounds weird but it's really good. All you have to do is get one of your guests to try it. He/she will convince others to try it. then it will be gone. Seems to me, in comparing my cheese tray to others I have seen, that simple is better. If my guests are making me refill the cheese tray twice, I consider that a success (or I'm not starting the main course early enough. :smile: )

What do you guys use when you put out a cheese tray?

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
what am I going to put on the cheese tray?

Cheese and crackers.

giphy.gif

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I dont know if you guys get it out there, but Tillamook has some awesome cheeses. Their aged white cheddar, in the black package, might be the best aged cheddar I have ever had...and I have tried a lot of them. In general, their cheese is killer. Colby jack is a nice mild cheese to throw on there as well. The less adventerous types always like that. Plus, it looks cool.

deviantlx

TCG Elite Member
Apr 20, 2008
I have used soft cheeses in the past and people ignore them and go for the easily recognizable cheddars. I think I will stick with the cream cheese and fig jam combo since it tastes great. Might have some for lunch now...

Great comments and LOL at Fish and Deviant.

I'm just busing balls. I'm as old as you are.....well close. Lol.

I do look forward to your food posts though. Hahaha.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info