Your favorite cut of Steak, and why?

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Personally, I tend to gravitate towards ribeye most of the time because it has such amazing flavor, is so juicy and tender, with a great marbling of fat that really punches the flavor to the max. I season mine and then let rest at room temperature for a few hours before cooking, then I soak it in melted butter right before throwing on my grill sear-burner. I sear it for 25 seconds then flip, 25 more seconds, then back to other side until both sides have seared for 50 seconds each and have a nice checker pattern, then I sear them on each of the 4 edges for 25 seconds an edge; then done. The result is a nicely done Pittsburgh style steak (charred on the outside, rare on the inside).

Sometimes I go with a NY Strip steak, which is my second favorite, but do not venture outside of that realm too often because when I do, I pretty much always am not as impressed by the other cuts. I like fillet mignon, but it is just too lean for my preference. It had been a long long time since I had a good t-bone steak, so my gf and I decided to grill some out a few months back. While we did enjoy them, and they were cooked perfectly, they weren't quite as tasty, juicy, or tender as a ribeye; and they had a small amount of gristle too.

So, what are your personal favorites, and why? Also, what turns you off about any other cuts of steak?

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
Flank steak, cause I'm Mexican and that's what I grew up on.

Filet mignon second cause I can't stand fatty steaks.

I used to love filets, but it just doesn't have all the flavor that others have because it's so lean. Fat in other steaks is what gives them so much flavor.

My favorite now is a medium rare cooked T-bone, or Ribeye.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
If the ribeye has enough fat to make it a project to cut the meat out, I'll take the filet.

Yep, that's where a good even marbling comes into its own. When it comes to the ribeyes I select, I usually end up eating every single little piece. Usually by the time I get to searing the edges of the steak, it is literally almost falling apart because the fat has rendered down so much.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
i love strip steaks.

i try to go with ribeyes, but the tenderness advantage of the strips always has me lean that way.

i did ribeyes from a butcher in wisco last week and i like the strips mo betta.

oh and aged prime meat ftw.

this is where i've been gettin' steaks lately. so fucking good.

but a fucking haul for all ya'll.

unless you are traveling north that is.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Johnstown-Food-Center/412819535501249

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Filet Mignon. Perfect.

I made a rub with coffee grounds, pepper, and a couple other things on a Filet Mignon and it was PEEERRRFECT. One of the best steaks I've ever eaten and I made it at home. Finna make that shit tonight because of this thread. :fy:

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
http://www.rooftopgourmet.com/beef/kona-coffee-pink-peppercorn-crusted-filet-mignon/

Kona-Crusted-Filet-016.jpg

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Ribeye is good for flavor and easy to get anywhere.

The best cut is short loin. The muscle doesn't do much so it is very tender and plenty of marbling.

Loved me a smoked brisket as well!

US_Beef_short_loin.jpg

Arracheras marinated in beer and lime juice mmmm...

I have a friend who makes me batches of this. She seasons it perfectly. So amazing. But that is the seasoning, not the cut of steak.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info