Diet/Healthy Food Recommendations Thread

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
After dieting the past month, I have discovered there are good and really bad diet foods out there. Maybe we can help each other out so we don't end up buying meals like Healthy Choice Golden Roasted Turkey Breast (bad).

I have tried a lot of diet meals this month. The overall best I have found so far are the Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers. These frozen meals have been designed by Chefs to taste good. They all have some kind of sauce in the bottom and then the food in a strainer type bowl on top. Microwaving them "Steams" the meat/veggies/starches. Then you dump the hot food into the sauce. They have a lot of different versions, most of them taste pretty good.

You guys have some low cal favorites?

IMAG0221-1.jpg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I prefer making my own lunch. Those never seen to fill me up and it's gets old having the same ones day in and day out .

That's why I started the thread. Between all of us, we probably know enough good low cal meals to not have to repeat often. Store bought or homemade, post 'em up.

deviantlx

TCG Elite Member
Apr 20, 2008
That's why I started the thread. Between all of us, we probably know enough good low cal meals to not have to repeat often. Store bought or homemade, post 'em up.

stay away from that frozen crap. the only thing decent about those meals is the portion control.

if you can ration your food intake you will be waaaayy better off than anytning that comes out of those microwave meals.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
stay away from that frozen crap. the only thing decent about those meals is the portion control.

if you can ration your food intake you will be waaaayy better off than anytning that comes out of those microwave meals.

The frozen meals are quick/easy and I can toss them in the freezer and microwave at work. I don't intend to be on this diet forever. Just long enough to lose the weight. Then it's on to the maintenance/healthy foods portion of the exercise.

I'll be happy to switch to some homemade low cal stuff if you guys have some.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
I've been in maintenance mode for years.
Breakfast, oatmeal
Lunch Chicken or egg salad wraps, carrots, celery, broccoli. Stay away from bread, chips, pop etc
Light dinner, fish with a vegetable, chicken breast, pork chops etc

And of course light beer...... Plus, I work out 5-7 days per week. That garcinia I posted earlier truly works. GL

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
I've been in maintenance mode for years.
Breakfast, oatmeal
Lunch Chicken or egg salad wraps, carrots, celery, broccoli. Stay away from bread, chips, pop etc
Light dinner, fish with a vegetable, chicken breast, pork chops etc

And of course light beer...... Plus, I work out 5-7 days per week. That garcinia I posted earlier truly works. GL

it really is this or bust, and if you can cut out alcohol for awhile that is ideal but not always possible for some of us :rofl:

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
My day begins with Rice Krispies and milk with Equal. Lunch is usually one of the low cal frozen meals. Dinner I try to avoid carbs and have meat and veggies. Might have one or two (at most) Miller Lites if I feel like drinking something. I slip occasionally and have something bad like ribs, brisket, fried chicken along with a starch and veggies. Plus, being a diabetic, if my blood sugar dips below 80 I have to have either fruit or some type of sugar to bring it back up. Sucks being a diabetic on a diet.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
some fruit has more health benefits than others.

there's cook books and magazines catered to people who are diabetic looking to eat healthy.

any exercise?

Walking often and some tennis once in a while. I'm a slug now compared to when I was young.

I have been Type 1 for 38 years. I could probably write some cookbooks. The diabetic cookbooks are usually rip offs IMHO. Healthy eating is healthy eating. With an insulin pump, you just dial in the carbs and blood sugar and the pump automatically programs the insulin delivery. Sugar and carbs aren't the hassle for diabetics with the pump that they used to be for me when I was taking injections.

deviantlx

TCG Elite Member
Apr 20, 2008
Walking often and some tennis once in a while. I'm a slug now compared to when I was young.

I have been Type 1 for 38 years. I could probably write some cookbooks. The diabetic cookbooks are usually rip offs IMHO. Healthy eating is healthy eating. With an insulin pump, you just dial in the carbs and blood sugar and the pump automatically programs the insulin delivery. Sugar and carbs aren't the hassle for diabetics with the pump that they used to be for me when I was taking injections.

being diabetic its a little more difficult to control your weight loss......definitely not impossible.

how much weight are you looking to lose?

what is your current bmi?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
being diabetic its a little more difficult to control your weight loss......definitely not impossible.

how much weight are you looking to lose?

what is your current bmi?

It's possible as a diabetic, not easy, though. Requires really good insulin pump management and the numbers keep changing as I diet so I'm having to keep adjusting. Insulin intake is going down, down, down.

I was at 210 last time I weighed myself a few days ago. Started at 217. I'd like to get under 190. I'm over 6' so I can carry 185-190 no problem.

No idea what my bmi is.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info