OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Spinning this off of the "what are you eating for diner" thread

A place to post tips, equipment, pictures, and recipes for delicious chunks of dead animals being charred on steel bars.

1703268039944.png

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
What do you use [MENTION=111]OffshoreDrilling[/MENTION]?

I want to get a smoker... but not sure what to get that is reasonably priced.

I love my webber kettle grill... I just bought a hinged grate for it a lil bit ago... I rock out with a webber charcoal chimney starter for it too... I have used gas grills a bunch in the past but something about charcoal just keeps me coming back to it.

Probably going to do some steaks sunday... in the summer I live off of my grill... winter I grill quite a bit but not as often.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I'm in an apartment on the second floor, don't think a smoker is going to fly on my patio unfortunately. I've just got a cheapo grill, want to upgrade to a weber and stick this one at the harbor.

I love my lil weber.. it's awesome.

I did a whole beef tenderloin on it a few weeks back that turned out insanely good.

The grocery store here in wisco has beef tenderloins on the shelf ready to go always :fy:

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
What do you use [MENTION=111]OffshoreDrilling[/MENTION]?

I want to get a smoker... but not sure what to get that is reasonably priced.

I love my webber kettle grill... I just bought a hinged grate for it a lil bit ago... I rock out with a webber charcoal chimney starter for it too... I have used gas grills a bunch in the past but something about charcoal just keeps me coming back to it.

Probably going to do some steaks sunday... in the summer I live off of my grill... winter I grill quite a bit but not as often.

I have a friend that made one out of a 50 gallon drum barrel. It works amazing.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
seriously turned out so awesome. I watched a few youtube videos on how to trim it and remove the silver skin and how to tie it up... it was on sale for like 5.99 a pound and I think it was a bout 4.5 lbs of delicious goodness... i did it over direct heat for two minutes rotating it a quarter turn on each side then i moved it over to the edge of the grill and let it just chill away from the heat for about 25 mins iirc... internal temp got up to about 115-120 or so which is when a bunch of things online said to pull it and let it chill... so i pulled it and wrapped it in tinfoil and let it chill for about 20 minutes then cut in and it couldn't have turned out better.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
anyone use an electric smoker before? Curious how well they work vs a traditional one. Really only allowed to have propane grills where I'm at. of I was on the ground floor with a concrete patio, I'd tell them to get fucked.

I have used one before to smoke ribs, burgers, bacon, and pork chops. It took more time than a traditional smoker, but that could have been because it was a cheaper unit. The meat still turned out awesome. One of my best burger creations to date really. The electric units will work for sure. My old man has a nicer one and it does a good job. They can get pricey though.

Smoked burger sexiness recipe

I put all of the chuck in a big bowl. Threw in some worcestershire sauce and a small amount of crushed garlic, salt, and pepper. Mixed in a small amount of sharp cheddar cheese to keep the meat moist and sexy (you meat heads know what I mean). Smoked a shit load of bacon on the rack above the meat. I would highly recommend that. Bacon fat goodness dripping all over the meat as it cooked. Flavor my friends, flavor.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Some of the best potatoes to make on the grill...chop up about 5 medium sized potatoes, 1yellow onion and throw it in a tin foil packet. Put some butter, salt, pepper, drizzle of olive oil, and sprinkle the top with chopped garlic out of a jar (a lot of garlic is good IMO). Seal that packet up and put it on indirect heat on the grill. Give it 20-30 depending on heat and amount of ingredients and enjoy some deliciousness. Direct heat can be used for some browner/crispier potatoes. My old lady loves this recipe.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Some of the best potatoes to make on the grill...chop up about 5 medium sized potatoes, 1yellow onion and throw it in a tin foil packet. Put some butter, salt, pepper, drizzle of olive oil, and sprinkle the top with chopped garlic out of a jar (a lot of garlic is good IMO). Seal that packet up and put it on indirect heat on the grill. Give it 20-30 depending on heat and amount of ingredients and enjoy some deliciousness. Direct heat can be used for some browner/crispier potatoes. My old lady loves this recipe.

I love potatoes on the grill. I usually just cut up, season, throw some bacon grease in, throw it in foil, cook. :nice:

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
I'm listening.

JaRob's South African Biltong Recipe

Ingredients:

-Beef Rump Roast (or Bottom Round Roast with plenty of fat marbling) 2-4lbs.
-Vinegar 2-4 cups depending on batch size.
-Coarse Salt 1/8 cup
-Coriander seeds 1/8 cup
-Steak Seasoning 1/8 cup (to your preferance such as Weber, Stonemill, etc as long as it is a bit coarse) If the seasoning you prefer doesn't contain a decent amount of salt, then add a bit more coarse salt to the mix.
-Pepper 1-2 TBS
-Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Powder) 1 tsp

Items:

-Dehydrator (or a really warm dry place 100% protected from bugs)I use a Biltong King w/ 40watt bulb, but any heated dehydrator where you can hang the meat in should do.
-Sharp Knife
-Cutting Board
-Large Bowl
-Assortment of measuring cups/spoons

Preparation:

1) Start out by cutting the entire room temperature Rump Roast into strips roughly 1/2" thick by 1" wide, stretching the entire length of the roast. Make sure to cut with the grain, and not across it. Do not trim the excess fat off, this is what adds a lot of flavor so keep it on!

2) Add a cup or two of the vinegar into a large bowl and add the newly cut meat to it. Make sure to have enough vinegar so that you can get somewhat decent coverage of the meat. It doesn't all need to be fully submerged, but rather a decent soaking. Soak the meat in vinegar for a total of 10 minutes while stirring it all up once or twice to make sure vinegar contacts all part of the meat. The reason for this vinegar soaking is to kill any chance of bacteria or mold growth while the meat is initially drying.

3) While the meat is soaking, take all of your dry ingredients and mix them together in another bowl or a baggie for your dry rub. This includes coarsely crushing the coriander seeds.

4) Remove the meat from the vinegar bath, pat each piece somewhat dry with a paper towel, and evenly coat the outside with your dry rub mix. You may not end up using all of your rub so just save any excess for later.

5) Put the meat on the hooks that come with your dehydrator, or you can use paper clips bent to hold it too. Make sure that when meat is hanging that none of the pieces touch each other or the walls of the dehydrator. Also it is really important to make sure that bugs cannot get inside and spoil the meat too.

Total Drying Time:

Somewhere around 2-4 days. Total Drying time depends on how large you cut your pieces to, and your preference for whether you want your biltong to be soft and moist in the middle, or more dry and firm. Personally I like mine to be a little softer and a bit pink in the middle, so I keep mine in for about 2 days. You can do test cuts here and there to see what the inside is looking like. The outside will darken and dry out quite a bit, which is expected. If there is a lot of fat on the outside, it will tend to soften and ooze a bit. Trust me, this is a good thing, and tastes DAMN good!

Eating and long term storage:

Do a few small test cuts to see how the like the seasoning. If it is too salty then you can rub some of the rubbing off that should still be coating the outside, which will soften the taste. Using a sharp knife, cut the biltong across the grain of the meat into as reasonably thin slices as you can manage. The thickness of a nickle is roughly good. Enjoy! It is WAAAAY better than beef jerky and quite a healthy snack too.

If you make a lot and do not eat it within a few days, then you can freeze the rest in a plastic bag for later consumption. Since it is quite low in moisture content it doesn't take long to thaw again.

IMG_20140404_105323001.jpg

IMG_20140404_105513010.jpg

Reactions: Spivitz

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Ingredients:

-Beef Rump Roast (or Bottom Round Roast with plenty of fat marbling) 2-4lbs.
-Vinegar 2-4 cups depending on batch size.
-Coarse Salt 1/8 cup
-Coriander seeds 1/8 cup
-Steak Seasoning 1/8 cup (to your preferance such as Weber, Stonemill, etc as long as it is a bit coarse) If the seasoning you prefer doesn't contain a decent amount of salt, then add a bit more coarse salt to the mix.
-Pepper 1-2 TBS
-Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Powder) 1 tsp

Items:

-Dehydrator (or a really warm dry place 100% protected from bugs)I use a Biltong King w/ 40watt bulb, but any heated dehydrator where you can hang the meat in should do.
-Sharp Knife
-Cutting Board
-Large Bowl
-Assortment of measuring cups/spoons

Preparation:

1) Start out by cutting the entire room temperature Rump Roast into strips roughly 1/2" thick by 1" wide, stretching the entire length of the roast. Make sure to cut with the grain, and not across it. Do not trim the excess fat off, this is what adds a lot of flavor so keep it on!

2) Add a cup or two of the vinegar into a large bowl and add the newly cut meat to it. Make sure to have enough vinegar so that you can get somewhat decent coverage of the meat. It doesn't all need to be fully submerged, but rather a decent soaking. Soak the meat in vinegar for a total of 10 minutes while stirring it all up once or twice to make sure vinegar contacts all part of the meat. The reason for this vinegar soaking is to kill any chance of bacteria or mold growth while the meat is initially drying.

3) While the meat is soaking, take all of your dry ingredients and mix them together in another bowl or a baggie for your dry rub. This includes coarsely crushing the coriander seeds.

4) Remove the meat from the vinegar bath, pat each piece somewhat dry with a paper towel, and evenly coat the outside with your dry rub mix.

5) Put the meat on the hooks that come with your dehydrator, or you can use paper clips bent to hold it too. Make sure that when meat is hanging that none of the pieces touch each other or the walls of the dehydrator. Also it is really important to make sure that bugs cannot get inside and spoil the meat too.

Total Drying Time:

Somewhere around 2-4 days. Total Drying time depends on how large you cut your pieces to, and your preference for whether you want your biltong to be soft and moist in the middle, or more dry and firm. Personally I like mine to be a little softer and a bit pink in the middle, so I keep mine in for about 2 days. You can do test cuts here and there to see what the inside is looking like. The outside will darken and dry out quite a bit, which is expected. If there is a lot of fat on the outside, it will tend to soften and ooze a bit. Trust me, this is a good thing, and tastes DAMN good!

Eating and long term storage:

Do a few small test cuts to see how the like the seasoning. If it is too salty then you can rub some of the rubbing off that should still be coating the outside, which will soften the taste. Using a sharp knife, cut the biltong across the grain of the meat into as reasonably thin slices as you can manage. The thickness of a nickle is roughly good. Enjoy! It is WAAAAY better than beef jerky and quite a healthy snack too.

If you make a lot and do not eat it within a few days, then you can freeze the rest in a plastic bag for later consumption. Since it is quite low in moisture content it doesn't take long to thaw again.

whoa.

that sounds awesome.

any good reasonably priced dehydrators?