Last edited:

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
That is a steal. What RAID setup are you going for Tommy?

Simple RAID 1 to backup all my music, photos, software installs, docs, etc from my boxes and laptops. The nice part is the Sans Digital device that I put these in allows hot swaps and rebuilds on the fly.

Not to spoil the deal, but these are the drives that Seagate has been having firmware troubles with...

They may have fixed it now, but just a heads up
Yeah..I believe the issue is fixed now. I saw that the earlier versions had problems. The firmware on the two I have were newer than the problem versions.

I exercised these drives pretty hard this past weekend (a couple full formats, surface level tests, they are about 65% full at the moment with data with zero problems.)

I waited to post this deal before I had a chance to test them out. I feel pretty confident that they will be fine.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Simple RAID 1 to backup all my music, photos, software installs, docs, etc from my boxes and laptops. The nice part is the Sans Digital device that I put these in allows hot swaps and rebuilds on the fly.

Yeah..I believe the issue is fixed now. I saw that the earlier versions had problems. The firmware on the two I have were newer than the problem versions.

I exercised these drives pretty hard this past weekend (a couple full formats, surface level tests, they are about 65% full at the moment with data with zero problems.)

I waited to post this deal before I had a chance to test them out. I feel pretty confident that they will be fine.

Not bad. I was thinking RAID 5 or whatever, but then Id have to buy 3 of those bitches.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
yeah thats a good deal. Seems like they dont build HDDs as well as they used to though. 750GB+ drives seem to only last a few years from what ive seen, probably from the increased work loads. I have drives laying around at home ranging from 420MB to 80GB from the 90s/early 00s that will still spin fine.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info