đź”– Deals If you don't own your cable modem...

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CH8ZNJ0/?tag=tcg21-20

On paper, this TP-Link modem is functionally identical to the venerable Motorola Surfboard SB6141, but you can get it for a fraction of the price; just $35 today. If you’re still paying your ISP a modem rental fee every month, this should pay for itself in short order.

ti5wuhcwb6n8l0hmyh3g.jpg

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Never rent a modem. Not only will it cost you more over your contract, but you lose control of the device.

Comcast can send updates whenever they want. They also setup a secondary open ssid called "Xfinity" by default so anyone with a Comcast account can use your internet and connect to your modem. That's one small step away from an unauthorized user from having access to your whole home network

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
WOW is straight garbage. So glad I switched my mom off them finally.
Been great to me. Nice and cheap internet. their cable interface tho....eek
It should still work, the technology is the same. Not approved just means they wont give you tech support if it isn't working properly.

I just flash back to fighting Comcast when I set up my sisters modem. They have Comcast rewire the whole house cause they said that was the problem. Turned out the baby monitor interfered with the signal.

I think I will but it. I'll be moving soon and will probably get stuck with Comcast anyways.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Overpriced, spotty speeds and connection, they are years behind in terms of TV...according to comcast (who knows how much truth), they are using outdated comcast tech for their network.

Only thing I can say is they have pretty good customer service, always very friendly.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Overpriced, spotty speeds and connection, they are years behind in terms of TV...according to comcast (who knows how much truth), they are using outdated comcast tech for their network.

Only thing I can say is they have pretty good customer service, always very friendly.

We've had them in the house for almost 10 years. Always great to work with. and my 35 dollars for 30mbps promo changed and its now 45 a month. still not bad. but that includes 10 bucks for the modem

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
What's a good cheap dual band router to pair with this? We need a new setup at my in-laws cottage so when there are 15 people there and 30 devices the crappy xfinity modem router combo doesn't die every hour.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn

I have to call them every 3-6 months to get better deals. They are usually happy to offer you any "New customer" prices if you call. That helps a lot as far as cost. But they only do it for as long as the offer is for. Typically 3-6 months. I just set a reminder to call before it expires.

Speed is quick enough for me. I'm not a gamer or download a lot of big files.

What do you mean that they are years behind in terms of TV? Just the tech and hardware? For me it seems fine.

I never have outages. Maybe a couple times in the last few years. No issues there either. And yes, their customer service is awesome.

JeffsLightning

TCG Elite Member
Mar 3, 2004
House of Power
I have to call them every 3-6 months to get better deals. They are usually happy to offer you any "New customer" prices if you call. That helps a lot as far as cost. But they only do it for as long as the offer is for. Typically 3-6 months. I just set a reminder to call before it expires.

Speed is quick enough for me. I'm not a gamer or download a lot of big files.

What do you mean that they are years behind in terms of TV? Just the tech and hardware? For me it seems fine.

I never have outages. Maybe a couple times in the last few years. No issues there either. And yes, their customer service is awesome.
I did that and got a 24 month contract[emoji15]

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Their guide is pathetic. It hasn't change and it's the same from when I lived at home over ten years ago :rofl:

I will give you that. haha

I did that and got a 24 month contract[emoji15]

Damn, you lucky. I have not been able to secure that kind of time. I actually have to call next month. I will have to try and work them over. lol

ROFL, did Pratt just suggest that Comcast's customer service is awesome? I read more, looks like he's talking about WOW. I had that back in my Swood days, they were OK. Cheap for sure.

I was talking about WOW.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info