đź”– Deals Need a Decent Printer?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I just picked up this bad boy yesterday. I thought it was priced right at the original $199 and Best Buy just put it on sale for $129. It's a good deal for an Editor's Choice printer/all in one that has dual paper trays plus another feeder on the back for envelopes, etc., WiFi, and a 35 page automatic document feeder. Set up was mostly automatic and proceeded easily with only a minor glitch when a page froze after installation and I had to restart my computer to continue.

Epson WorkForce WF3640 NetworkReady Wireless AllInOne Printer Black Workforce WF-3640 All-In-One - Best Buy

4671025_sa.jpg;canvasHeight=500;canvasWidth=500

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I looked at color lasers. This one is cheaper to buy and supposed to be cheaper to operate. It's geared towards someone who runs a small office, someone who prints more than the average home owner or who copies/scans more than one page documents. That's why I bought it, for the auto multi page, two sided document feed. I no longer have to drive to my office to scan 20 page contracts to my computer or to send them out as emails. Before with my old printer, I had to do one page at a time and it was a pain. The paper trays hold 250 pages each which is great for not having to put paper in every day. The envelope feeder on the back is good for printing envelopes or other types of non standard size paper without having to clear a paper tray. The paper trays hold up to legal size. I can fill one tray with legal and one with letter size if I want or one with letter size and the other with photo paper. For all the features of this machine, I think it's a bargain at $129.

I would NEVER buy an HP anything. Bad experiences from the past with their glitchy products and customer service (if what they do can even be called customer service). I have been happy with Canon copiers but bought this Epson because of its features and online ratings. So far, so good, it has printed and scanned everything I have thrown at it with no issues.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
For that price Id just buy a laser printer :dunno:

This

I got a really expensive HP photo printer and its a piece of shit, I will never buy an expensive printer again just walmart throw away specials

Or this. Currently I do this; Buy 30$ printer that comes with ink, throw out when ink goes out and buy newer $30 model. :rofl:

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I had a huge boner for a color laser printer last year because I had one when they first came out and loved it. Everyone loves their color laser until the first time they need to refill the cartridges.

So this time around I was dead set to go laser again but everyone kept insisting that for my needs inkjet was going to be much cheaper. I ended up getting a Lexmark Pro 4000 all in one for $60 on the closeout shelf at Staples. I refilled it with eBay ink for $30 and it's been solid so far.

Unless you're doing a lot of printing it looks like ink is the way to go.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
I HATE HP printers. I've had several models that would just crap out on me which made me needing to buy a new printer. I had a cheap Epson printer from a computer package and it was okay but still capped out after a brief while. I then decided to get a higher model Epson (around $170) and that thing has been solid ever since. Lcd display with wifi, and all that stuff. Not once have I ran into a problem with it.

I buy my Epson ink through some website that I googled a while back. Bought 8 cartridges (2 of each color) for $27 shipped (possibly even cheaper). That ink actually lasted longer than the original and printed more papers with it.

If I can recall correctly, I think the site was colorinktoner.com or something. I'll have to check at my home office.

As for the printer Cliff mentioned...that actually is a pretty good deal and I wouldn't mind getting one if I needed one. Plus I have about $50 in rewards with Best Buy. But what I want/need more right now is that Neat Desk scanner. Just wish it wasn't so much.

Brother HL-3070CW

I bought my Brother HL-3070CW Laser Printer about 1.5 years ago and so far I love it. Picked it up at Staples on clearance for like $30. It's definitely not top of the line or new by any means, like no auto-feed double-sided printing, however it will do double sided, you just have to wait for it to print the odd pages, put the paper back in and it will print the evens.

Cartridges are about $50 each, which isn't as awful as they could be (HP cartridges for $100+ on average). I went an entire school year printing ~20 pages a week over 5 classes each (~100 pages a week) and it's now letting me know I need to buy new cartridges. Can't really complain though.

Honestly though, toner cartridges are WAY cheaper than ink cartridges in relation to page yield. You get raped about once every year on $200 for toner versus $50-70 every time you need new ink (few times a year).

However, if you're printing photos, even with the BEST laser printer, you'll never get the quality you can from ink. Documents are great on laser. Photos are best on inkjet.

Just my $0.02.

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
Brother HL-3070CW

I bought my Brother HL-3070CW Laser Printer about 1.5 years ago and so far I love it. Picked it up at Staples on clearance for like $30. It's definitely not top of the line or new by any means, like no auto-feed double-sided printing, however it will do double sided, you just have to wait for it to print the odd pages, put the paper back in and it will print the evens.

Cartridges are about $50 each, which isn't as awful as they could be (HP cartridges for $100+ on average). I went an entire school year printing ~20 pages a week over 5 classes each (~100 pages a week) and it's now letting me know I need to buy new cartridges. Can't really complain though.

Honestly though, toner cartridges are WAY cheaper than ink cartridges in relation to page yield. You get raped about once every year on $200 for toner versus $50-70 every time you need new ink (few times a year).

However, if you're printing photos, even with the BEST laser printer, you'll never get the quality you can from ink. Documents are great on laser. Photos are best on inkjet.

Just my $0.02.

I have the same printer and its a good workhorse. You get more print per cartridge by doing a reset.

https://www.uvm.edu/~gcd/2012/04/use-it-up-brother-hl-3070cw-toner/

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info