Lake Michigan Boating....

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
I have been tossing around the idea of moving my boating adventures from the Chain O’ Lakes to Lake Michigan. Now in order to do so I will have to make some changes. My main reasons for possible move would have to be with the flooding/shallow issues constantly effecting the chain. I would end up selling my current boat and travel trailer and would be looking into a larger open bow around 29’-31’. Crown line, Chaparral, Monterey to name a few that have caught my eye. I would like to be able to take trips to say Michigan City, Milwaukee or depending on my comfort level possibly to Michigan. I would like to know what you feel would be required in a boat to do that. I know [MENTION=111]OffshoreDrilling[/MENTION] has or had his boat on Lake Michigan.

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
Couple pics of boats that I found. Both are 31’, twin engine, have small sleeping quarters.
9f96f99e1e3f8ecdd3ca5d64b340dae8.jpg
d1cb3be7e4666d69a725804d5a98f695.jpg

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/...s,-mint-103606164/?refsource=standard+listing

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
me personally, while knowing jack shit about the big puddle compared to some on here, if i were in your shoes, i'd want to go closed bow. get something with a large cockpit, big enough cabin to sleep in if you wanted to/when you want to, and send it with that.

cuz im assuming you'll want to trailer it still, right?

Well I just love the room of an open bow, but Cuddy cabin I’m sure makes more sense. I would look into a slip on Lake Michigan. I know they are 2 to 3 times the cost of the chain but with getting rid of the trailer I would save $3750 a season so thinking cost would be fairly close. I would want the option to tow elsewhere if I chose so 9.5’ beam would be where I would want to stay.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
well i mean, you're spending 4k+ on your "rent" where you are now right?

4k will get a solid slip (as long as some are open?) in the city somewhere- but where are you wanting to have a slip?

im saying closed bow, because then you'll at least have a boat big enough to stay on, no open bow's are going to be comfortable enough to do that regularly. imo.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Unless you have no plans of sleeping on your boat I would suggest something with a larger cabin. Its very nice "camping" on the boat especially if you live far from the harbor. You also want something large enough that you feel comfortable taking it on a trips like those. Lake Michigan isnt exempt from flooding either. Lake levels are at record highs right now, and sometimes you will see flooding depending on what direction the wind is going. If you are looking at a Chicago Harbor take note that at Diversey its probably only half full right now. You are limited because of bridge clearance going in and out of the harbor because of high water levels. Don't quote me but I think you only have 8 or 9ft of clearance right now. Because of this the bigger boats cannot get in or out and moved to other harbors. If you get a larger boat with a radar arch 31st harbor might be your only available option.

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
well i mean, you're spending 4k+ on your "rent" where you are now right?

4k will get a solid slip (as long as some are open?) in the city somewhere- but where are you wanting to have a slip?

im saying closed bow, because then you'll at least have a boat big enough to stay on, no open bow's are going to be comfortable enough to do that regularly. imo.

Would you feel a 31’ give or take a foot would be able to handle Lake Michigan?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Damn that’s a lot of boat!! One other thing is I wanted to stay newer then an 04’

why 04 out of curiosity

Yea I would like to stay away from salt water as well. Would you feel comfortable on that size boat making a run across the pond?

33' could run across the pond for sure. i mean shit, little boats can too, most important thing (and again others have way more experience) is to plan, watch the weather, and be safe.

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
why 04 out of curiosity

33' could run across the pond for sure. i mean shit, little boats can too, most important thing (and again others have way more experience) is to plan, watch the weather, and be safe.

No real reason for staying 04’ or newer besides the finishes of the boat. They seem to have the nicer more modern touches. Oh I had a buddy launch at Diversy and made a Milwaukee run in a 27’ PQ. But he planned it, and had perfect weather. But that was a one day thing. If I’m keeping a boat on LM, I would want a boat I know could handle bad weather if and when it rolled in.

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
boat you're looking for is going to be kinda unique. big enough to comfortably stay on, small enough to trailer if you want, big enough cockpit to have a few more than a couple of people on it... id bet you'd also likely want a/c as well? so staying on it isn't too hot? [MENTION=16]PANDA[/MENTION], air necessary?

Honestly towing it would be the least of a priority. Yes, I would think I would want AC

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
short of buying a decommissioned coast guard cutter, you're not going to get something that could handle ANY lake michigan weather haha

Oh I totally understand that, should have clarified. If there are 4-6’ rollers I’m staying in. I had my boat on LM twice. One was for the river run with FOTF and weather was amazing and so calm so my boat did amazing. The last time I was out there for air and water show and in the morning it was calm, after the show the waves picked up from all the traffic. My boat was getting beat to shit, I was actually taking waves over and into my open bow and I was pretty nervous.

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
i really think you need to find out where you want to keep it first, so like [MENTION=16]PANDA[/MENTION] said, if you'll have a bridge clearance issue or not... then have to consider what you want to spend, & also equally important IF you want to be able to trailer it.... and well, how often you want to.

Keep it as in which harbor in the city? Are there clearance restrictions on Lake Michigan? I would even entertain a slip on the river. I’m more worried about getting the right size boat.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info