Camping Trailers/RV's/Etc?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Is this the right section for this [MENTION=19]Yaj Yak[/MENTION]?

I've kicked around the idea of consolidating everything (Mustang, Suburban, Ranger project) down to just a modern (So sub 5 years old) full size SUV or Truck and pick up a 22-24 foot double axle camping trailer.

Anyone camp with older trucks and just #Sendit? Or is the risk of failure simply too great when far away from home to chance over the road failures? Or do you just make 100% sure everything is maintained well and solid before making the trip?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
what suburban do you have currently

I have an 03 Z71; it already has new brake lines, calipers, pads, newer tires, new shocks.

It has 145K on it, and I'd replace the brake soft lines and fuel hard lines before trying to haul anything from home.

The Trans is a little questionable since it doesn't have a service history but I'll be flushing it and replacing the filter shortly and giving it hell to see how it behaves. Shelling out for a rebuild doesn't really bother me as its the only real weak point on these trucks outside of rust.

I'm having my ScanGauge re-programmed for it so I should have Trans Temp and accurate oil/coolant temps and will have it sitting on the windshield by the A-Pillar.

I'd be looking to pickup something like this (22 foot or so Where it has a bathroom/Bunk beds at the back, and a queen at the front with a living/dining in the middle).

gallery_picture_2360.jpg

We also have a dedicated site already in Galesburg IL (~3 hours) where the in-laws own about 70 acres of property, so power sports out there is 100% a thing.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
The Trans is a little questionable since it doesn't have a service history but I'll be flushing it and replacing the filter shortly and giving it hell to see how it behaves. Shelling out for a rebuild doesn't really bother me as its the only real weak point on these trucks outside of rust.

$950 for a bench build with converter. I can do an exchange also. Get the updates as well as sonnox boost valve that fixes 90% of the issues the 60e had.

Full blown tugger shift kit available for extra.

12 month/12k mile warranty

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
TOO MANY VEHICLES; 17 Mini Clubman ALL4 S, 13 Mustang GT Premium Vert', 05 Suburban, 99 Ranger (V8 Swap Project), 1998 Jeep Cherokee, 2004 Yamaha Vino 125

Time for an update

I'm with Emerson. Ditch the junk, get something decent to tow and cart the family around.

The last thing you want to deal with is a broken tow vehicle or cause a wreck

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
Travel trailers are fairly light considering their size. Most full size suvs and trucks will have little issue towing what you're looking at. Especially when you consider how many towing miles vs unloaded miles you'll do a year you'll be fine. I've been tossing around the idea of u loading mine for something a touch bigger and newer. Currently I put 4k behind my truck and it does fine. Id feel safe going up to 5k

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
THIS!! I think there is some sort of rating related to the square footage of the face of the trailer. You don’t ever hear anyone talk about it though.

you know come to think of it, there is a rating for it in some of the ford towing guides i was looking at last week.

it'd be interesting if they figure out a way to have that rating take precedent over weight or with weight as a factor.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info