1989 Pontoon Boat Restoration - Story/Pictures

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Not mine.. Seen on Reddit

Not a project I would have took on but in the end he spent way less than buying a new boat. Just throw a bigger motor on that thing and you are set.

XmtKTGm.jpg

BQykEVF.jpg

UWOFpPv.jpg

MbKEDme.jpg

LTo70L6.jpg

mMnEx7l.jpg

YzkQvoa.jpg

RpXmTqf.jpg

More pictures and info
1989 Pontoon Restoration - Album on Imgur

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
issue with the whole "bigger motor and you're set" notion is... the toon size and construction.

those toons are the same as the ones you see completely submerged when 4 people are on a pontoon on the chain.

Last post by original poster...

We're happy with how it turned out. Next step is a bigger motor. The 30HP Mariner just isn't enough for the size of lake it's on now. We just me in it, it was GPSed at about 13-14MPH, but add in 4-5 other people and a cooler and it's only hitting about 8MPH. It's rated for up to a 75HP motor, which is what I think we're going to get... maybe next year!

75HP would be a hell of an upgrade.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
even with the 75hp. it's not going 20 with that load.

that outboard will be 10-12k new anyways.

Id hope he wouldn't buy a new outboard seeing he is a DIY guy.

My neighbor has a 85ish 28ft toon. Had a 50HP Yamaha on it. slow as dog shit. Ended up buying a new 90HP Merc Pretty sure he has 10K into the boat after rigging. Probably just should have put that money towards a new boat at that point because its still slow.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info