Sled insurance

Angela@KRWINS

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Jan 15, 2016
McHenry, IL
Currently we are quoting some of you. It's important to look at the limits. It's a different scenario if you go braaping near Lake Superior in MI & Lake County, IL crossing roads. Another thing is that there are multiple carriers that can package your modded fun car, daily driver, & toys for the ultimate package. That helps your bottom line!!

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Currently we are quoting some of you. It's important to look at the limits. It's a different scenario if you go braaping near Lake Superior in MI & Lake County, IL crossing roads. Another thing is that there are multiple carriers that can package your modded fun car, daily driver, & toys for the ultimate package. That helps your bottom line!!

how does that work? doesn't the insurance just go off of where you keep the vehicle?

Angela@KRWINS

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Jan 15, 2016
McHenry, IL
how does that work? doesn't the insurance just go off of where you keep the vehicle?

Most of the time we recommend keeping the same limits of liability as what is on your vehicle for full protection & often recommend an umbrella on top of that for extra protection. But you still have to have sled listed as a scheduled "toy" like a car or a motorcycle. The biggest question you may ask yourself is do you want comprehensive and collision on the sled or just liability. Would you fix it if you got into an accident & file a claim or would you just buy another one & chalk it up to an experience. The comp & collision may be an added expense that is not needed but that is a question only you can answer that your insurance agent should be asking you.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Most of the time we recommend keeping the same limits of liability as what is on your vehicle for full protection & often recommend an umbrella on top of that for extra protection. But you still have to have sled listed as a scheduled "toy" like a car or a motorcycle. The biggest question you may ask yourself is do you want comprehensive and collision on the sled or just liability. Would you fix it if you got into an accident & file a claim or would you just buy another one & chalk it up to an experience. The comp & collision may be an added expense that is not needed but that is a question only you can answer that your insurance agent should be asking you.

so nothing about location then ?

i thought you meant in your post prior- the type of riding you do, and where you do it, affects it...

Angela@KRWINS

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Jan 15, 2016
McHenry, IL
so nothing about location then ?

i thought you meant in your post prior- the type of riding you do, and where you do it, affects it...

For some that go sledding in upper MI or WI in the middle of nowhere they want to carry just enough to be legal. By all means, I don't recommend that at all but can see where their reasoning is.

Angela@KRWINS

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Jan 15, 2016
McHenry, IL
Basically, you're reasonable. Willing to advise your clients on what is a good idea or bad idea, but also willing to let them do what they want.

With my current provider I have to really press to get them to move off their advised coverages.

Many times the average person doesn't know what they want or doesn't understand the limits. I will quote it but I will also show that it doesn't necessarily save you money but increases your risk if something were to happen. Now I am only talking about liability here. Would I recommend you have comprehensive & collision and roadside just like your vehicles, probably not unless it is like dirt cheap. That is just unnecessary cost that I don't see as being needed.

What are their "advised coverages", if I may ask?

Angela@KRWINS

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Jan 15, 2016
McHenry, IL
I use State Farm for everything and run the policy past my uncle who owns a truck insurance company. Our sleds were always 200 at most a year and the waverunners are 375 for the pair.

That has to include comprehensive & collision & given a multi-policy discount with vehicles & home, you may want to shop out. But it's quite up to you.

Angela@KRWINS

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Jan 15, 2016
McHenry, IL
I work thru SF myself, all my policies are thru them... Including my kids. They take a NICE chunk of change from me every month.

I imagine they do. That is how they build their business!! Boys are tough to insure. I would ask which car they have him rated on because many times it is the most expensive car so it is even worse.

10thSVT_03

DRRRT PROSPECT
Feb 28, 2009
I work thru SF myself, all my policies are thru them... Including my kids. They take a NICE chunk of change from me every month.

My agent is the opposite they give me the assistance of moving things around to lower the rates. We have tons of policies with them as well as 5 other family members. We switched from another provider together and they know if one of us leaves we all leave. They've actually called and made adjustments to save me money a few times. Great people to deal with.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

For some that go sledding in upper MI or WI in the middle of nowhere they want to carry just enough to be legal. By all means, I don't recommend that at all but can see where their reasoning is.

alright i misunderstood, the point of your first post was the type of riding, not the location necessarily. got it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info