Offtrail snowmobile riding thread

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Inspired by a discussion around snowmobile safety that popped up in another thread, here's the comment that made me start this thread. Thanks to [MENTION=16]PANDA[/MENTION] and [MENTION=19]Yaj Yak[/MENTION] for imparting their wisdom on us newbs. Yes, seriously.

The biggest thing I can tell new riders and I see this shit all the time. STAY ON THE FUCKING TRAIL. Its not that hard. Its when you go off trail you get stuck, or hit that covered stump, and most importantly piss off the land owners. There is a reason the trails go where they go and without the permission of land owners you will not have a snowmobile trail. I don't care if u wanna go in that fresh power or ramp off that sweat jump. Stay on the trail or do that shit on your own private property.

I completely understand the concept of private property, but I also assume there are places where you can do this type of riding legally.

Where would one find an "off-trail" kind of experience?

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I'm not trying to act like an asshat here, but there are places off the trails in certain areas where you can SEE that people commonly leave the trail and you're not too concerned about leaving the marked path - at least in regards to possible obstacles (stumps, fences, etc). One such place is in a quarry near Eagle River. TONS of sled trails off-path in that area.

Those places are intriguing to me, but as a follower of the [MENTION=16]PANDA[/MENTION] law, I haven't left the trail before.

I'd like to experience it tho and see what its about. Maybe there's some places where its OK to do so in Northern WI, MI, UP, etc... as in.... maybe we could ride there and check it out?

Mr Baytchos

TCG Elite Member
Jul 8, 2007
Cortland, IL
Real Name
Anthony
Hit up the U.P. if you want to experience some off trail fun without driving out west.

Off trail is always a risk though because unless you know the area you have no idea what is under the powder but believe me you will find out. One of the reasons I stopped riding in Illinois is because you had to ride off trail since the trail system sucks and people can't wait for a base to establish before ripping it up. Anyway the last time I did ride in illinois I hit something and put a 4" x4" hole in my track. That was not a cheap replacement let me tell you.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I'm not trying to act like an asshat here, but there are places off the trails in certain areas where you can SEE that people commonly leave the trail and you're not too concerned about leaving the marked path - at least in regards to possible obstacles (stumps, fences, etc). One such place is in a quarry near Eagle River. TONS of sled trails off-path in that area.

Those places are intriguing to me, but as a follower of the [MENTION=16]PANDA[/MENTION] law, I haven't left the trail before.

I'd like to experience it tho and see what its about. Maybe there's some places where its OK to do so in Northern WI, MI, UP, etc... as in.... maybe we could ride there and check it out?

So when u go riding in that quarry in EAGLE River you going to ride over the other tracks? Nah u going to blast through that fresh powder. It doesn't matter if others do it. The more that do the greater the chances of the trail being re routed or closed.

The UP has special boondocking parks and areas. Obviously ride at your own risk tho...

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

i dont think i'd go offtrail in a situation like that unless it was promoted as such. just cuz others have, doesn't mean go.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Hurley Snowmobile Trails

The History: Who can argue Hurley is the state’s snow capital with snowfall totals known to top 300 inches. People often snowmobile here right into the first week of April. Off-trail snowmobile riding is also available on 175,000 acres of public land. This is for the adventurous rider and a certain type of sled is necessary to take into the deep snow.

Of special note: A GPS is required – get a copy of the Hurley snowmobile trail map that outlines the acreage with GPS coordinates from the Chamber – and there is no cell phone service in the boondocking areas so you need to travel in a group.

Rev Things Up On Snowmobile Trails | Travel Wisconsin | Winter Sports

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info