KJ lookin' out for snowmobilers

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
What's the fun in that? Besides, the turbo is pretty quiet without a tune. WE CAN'T HAVE THAT NOW, CAN WE??!?

the fun in that?

making it 200 miles in a day without worry... that's what's fun about that :rofl:

:bigthumb: and the 2013 is the same sled with a handful of smaller tweaks and improvements over the '12.

i take everrrrry magazine article ever ever ever ever with a grain of salt, especially something as subjective as snowmobiling... so much marketing money thrown at shit like that.

[MENTION=2616]Chester Copperpot[/MENTION] what rev chassis sleds do you currently have?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
You own a turbo GTP... and you're preaching to me about reliability? :s00ls:

Just sayin, I know you're taking the safe / highroad here... but come on man. It's not that bad.

ha. at least gtp can be driven when and where i want, don't have to wait for some magical precipitation to be used...

and im just talking from experience. sorry.

there's a reason people who have been riding for decades like stock sleds...

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
it just sucks if you're the guy to break down, it doesn't just take your day down a peg, it takes down everyone's...

That's the same thing with cars too, nothing different here.

You know how I know you're getting old, KJ? :s00ls:

You know TCG is getting older and wiser when we're trying to talk each other out of modding a toy. Not the "DD", but the toy. :rofl:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
That's the same thing with cars too, nothing different here.

You know how I know you're getting old, KJ? :s00ls:

You know TCG is getting older and wiser when we're trying to talk each other out of modding a toy. Not the "DD", but the toy. :rofl:

dude but it is entirely 100% different than cars.

my car breaks down, i call a tow truck, my friends go on their merry way.

my car breaks down, i walk into the nearest warm establishment if it's cold out, or nearest cold one, if it's hot out... or at the bottom line, someone can come get you with a car. easily. roads are everywhere.

when a sled breaks down in the middle of Lake Namakagon at 3am on a Saturday night, all of a sudden it's a liability for you and your friends... it's a liability of possibly falling through, of getting clipped by someone else out there that can't see you since it's pitch black, it's a liability if you're the last guy out there in your group, and the people in front of you don't realize you broke down til they hit the next edge.

if my car breaks down it's a 1000% easier to get the situation rectified.

Have you ever pulled a sled 5-7 miles through the woods, to a road, then rode butt to nut with another full grown adult man 60 miles back to the lodge to get the truck and trailer to fix what happened?

it. sucks. ass.

i rode the chain when i had my sled quite frequently, the last thing i would want to worry about out there, is a belt going, or something more significant, as i hit some sketchy ice or even open water.

in my car, if something breaks, i coast to the edge, on a sled, if something breaks, you might be learning to swim with 20 lbs of snowmobile gear and a helmet and boots on real quick in 32* water.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
#1. You obviously haven't been on a cruise lately with [MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION]! :rofl: :s00ls:
#2. I try not to be on lakes @ 3am.
#3. If the sled self destructs, we yank the belt (if it isnt already) and pull out the tow strap and drag it to the closest warm place (likely a bar) and bring a trailer to get it. Not saying its fun, but it can be done.
#4. I don't do open water.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
[MENTION=2616]Chester Copperpot[/MENTION] what rev chassis sleds do you currently have?

2010 Renegade X Ptek, 2011 Renegade X Etec. Pick your poison. Because I'll probably ride either one at any given time. :rofl:

which just means you get to the bar quicker. so maybe that's not terrible.

[MENTION=16]PANDA[/MENTION] loves them beach combers.

#1. You obviously haven't been on a cruise lately with [MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION]! :rofl: :s00ls:
#3. If the sled self destructs, we yank the belt (if it isnt already) and pull out the tow strap and drag it to the closest warm place (likely a bar) and bring a trailer to get it. Not saying its fun, but it can be done.

1. :rofl:
2. :rofl:
3. About the only thing I'll be dragging amirite?
4. :rofl:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

okay. substitute 3am for anytime after 6pm, since it's the same level of darkness on any lake.... not to mention, the majority of up north trail systems basically require lake crossing.

im just saying i've been in these situations. it sucks. no matter how you spin it, it's awful.

what happens when you're 20-30 miles from the next bar to drag it to?

Most people say they don't do open water... anytime you are on a lake though you are open to that risk no matter what you think. You don't know every lake, nor do I, nor does anyone you or I will ever ride with. Springs are everywhere. Current happens too. Open water happens quicker than you want to believe. if you think you will never encounter open water, just stay off the ice.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I know this will come across wrong, but I don't know how to type it any other way. you guys are fresh to this. [MENTION=16]PANDA[/MENTION] isn't. maybe take some of his advice and style... snowmobiling is insanely dangerous and if you think otherwise you're just joking with yourself. deer suck. ice heaves suck. open water sucks. trees suck. other people suck. blah blah blah blah.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Oh I know about open water.... [MENTION=16]PANDA[/MENTION] arranged for an introduction for me last season. :squint:

I understand your concern brosepf, however, every time we hop on a machine and trust it to take us from point A to point B, we're risking what you're talking about above. Sure, some machines are more reliable than others... but I'm not suggesting that I'll be taking this thing on a trek across Antarctica either.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I know this will come across wrong, but I don't know how to type it any other way. you guys are fresh to this. [MENTION=16]PANDA[/MENTION] isn't. maybe take some of his advice and style... snowmobiling is insanely dangerous and if you think otherwise you're just joking with yourself. deer suck. ice heaves suck. open water sucks. trees suck. other people suck. blah blah blah blah.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't genuinely appreciate the concern, my man. Thank you.

I didn't realize that AC sleds were so widely accepted as death traps when I bough this sled. :dunno:

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
And I know all about ice heaves. Fuck that hurt.

I hit a small one doing nearly 100 on the Polaris last season. I went airborne for about 20'+ at about 1-2' off the lake. Thankfully all ended well. Broad daylight too. Didn't see it at all.

KJ - I might be newish to sledding, but I've got a bit of common sense on my shoulders. I like to think that its helped me survive this long. I try not to do stupid shit in general. I do love sleds tho, and I do love speed.

I also have a keen understanding and respect for speed though. I know things can break and quickly take control away from you... but I don't think this sled is THAT BAD in this regard. Sure it might bust a belt or a jack shaft in the worst case... but I think it'll be more than fine for ripping around places where I can get assistance with a quickness. I also have other sleds to lean on when its brutal cold outside.

Somehow, it feels like you think I take my own personal safety lightly. Generally speaking, I really don't. Sure we've all done something stupid once or twice in our lives, but you learn from that experience and move on.

I've now successfully gone from talking about a new sled to talking about how not to die on a sled. :hsugh:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info