• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Stupid car won't start....Part 2

zimmer0924

Master Debater
Jul 2, 2008
Ok so about a week ago I took a trip to the hardware store to get some things. When driving there the car drove perfect. I come out of the store to find that my car won't start. It's turning over but won't start. After 2 or 3 times of trying I smell fuel and it seems to be dripping from somewhere. So I jack the car up in the parking lot to find that there is fuel coming out between the head and the exhaust manifold. Strange right? So any way I end up having to get the car towed home. Yesterday is the first day I get to work on it after getting it towed home. So I take the plugs out to find a crap load of fuel in the cylinders.
I clean the plugs, cycled the engine with the fuel pump fuse pulled the get the fuel to come out. I got all the fuel out and to be on the safe side I left the plugs out to help evaporate the fuel if there was any left. I change the oil and the frps just to be safe. The next day I come out put everything back together and try to start it but it wont move, not even turn over. It's like something is stuck and holding it from turning over. So being pissed I start pulling everything apart and working my way down. I get down to the lower intake to find a shit load of fuel (like $6.00 worth) sitting in the bottom of the intake. I found later after pulling the exhaust that there is fuel in there too.
So to some it up I have two big issues. A fuel system problem and the engine not wanting to move at all. Some one please help. I could not sleep last night.

zimmer0924

Master Debater
Jul 2, 2008
Stage 2 fpdm, gt pumps, line upgrade, 60lbs injectors, bap. Normal upgrades. But I had these things when I was running my 2.8h kb with no problems. I'm thinking may be a injector is stuck open or an issue with the crappy gt pumps. I not so much worried about the fuel system as I am with the engine not wanting to turn. Kinda like it is Hydrolocked. If so what then??

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Stage 2 fpdm, gt pumps, line upgrade, 60lbs injectors, bap. Normal upgrades. But I had these things when I was running my 2.8h kb with no problems. I'm thinking may be a injector is stuck open or an issue with the crappy gt pumps. I not so much worried about the fuel system as I am with the engine not wanting to turn. Kinda like it is Hydrolocked. If so what then??

I hydrolocked an engine once from 30 seconds of cranking without it firing. Crushed piston, bent rod...ugly.

If fuel is puddled at the bottom of your intake, thats bad. It kinda means that an entire cylinder had to fill up with gas, fill the intake port then fill the intake.
I wish you the best in solving the problem.

zimmer0924

Master Debater
Jul 2, 2008
Well so far so good I guess. I have no rod through my block. I think with that much fuel filling up in the cylinders it washed them out. So there was no lubrication. I assume everything may have dried out in the cylinder and is stuck I'm hoping. I'm going to go home and spray some pb blaster in each of the cylinders to see if that releases them.

Frodo

TCG Elite Member
Jun 2, 2009
Mitch for the save. Thanks, I'm not thinking to clearly right now. Just really pissed.

Just trying to help out...that might help you figure out if your injectors are fawked...but still doesnt explain why you have a puddle of fuel sitting in the intake...if an injector was sticking open..yes fuel would run out...but you would think only so much until the rail was empty....this is a very odd situation...and im gonna keep pondering on it for a while

zimmer0924

Master Debater
Jul 2, 2008
It's running out like crazy. It's strange because when I just cycle the key to prime the pumps It says I've got any where from 40lbs-77lbs of fuel pressure before I even try to start it. That's way to much. This is insane to be fine one second and totally screwed the next.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
It's running out like crazy. It's strange because when I just cycle the key to prime the pumps It says I've got any where from 40lbs-77lbs of fuel pressure before I even try to start it. That's way to much. This is insane to be fine one second and totally screwed the next.

If you did the PRVV delete, the pressure in the lines should drop to zero relatively quickly after the pumps stop running.

You didnt put some sort of aftermarket check valve in for the fuel system did you?

zimmer0924

Master Debater
Jul 2, 2008
Well everyone it happened. FUCK.
HPIM1347.jpg

HPIM1344.jpg

zimmer0924

Master Debater
Jul 2, 2008
I was not running lean at any point. It was rich if anything. Fuel flooded the cylinder and was coming out the intake and exhasut ports. The the valves shut with shit loads of fuel still trapped inside and BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Broke rod. There is light at the end of the tunnel though. The block or the journal on the crank was not damaged at all. So hopefully if I do a quick hone to the cylinder and replace the rod, piston, rings, journal bearings and misc crap I should be fine. Me and a friend scoped everything for 2 hours and everything seems to be fine. I hope I get lucky. Maybe. No one jinx anything please.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info