• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

clutch chatter!04 cobra

89lx50

Team Vortech
Feb 12, 2005
I just put the same exact clutch in my 99 Cobra and have the same problem, ive heard the spec 3+ is pretty loud. I dont know what it is but when i press the clutch in the chatter goes away... i used the spec pilot and throw out bearings in mine... on the bright side, the clutch does the job.. oh yeah and i used the stock flywheel.

about2bite

SVTNProgress
Oct 13, 2007
I just put the same exact clutch in my 99 Cobra and have the same problem, ive heard the spec 3+ is pretty loud. I dont know what it is but when i press the clutch in the chatter goes away... i used the spec pilot and throw out bearings in mine... on the bright side, the clutch does the job.. oh yeah and i used the stock flywheel.

Are you sure it's not the throw out bearing? I hear the Spec ones don't hold up too well, you may want to take a peak and make sure it's not spinning on the pressure plate fingers.

about2bite

SVTNProgress
Oct 13, 2007
^^^

Typically what you are describing is the sound of a bad throw out bearing. There is the stock cable setup which in self adjusting and there is the aftermarket firewall adjusters and quadrants which need to be manually adjusted as the clutch wears.

What happens is the fingers on the pressure plate are forced outwards, towards the front of the transmission (or back of the car). As this happens the tob needs to be pulled back away from the pressure plate. This is done but adjusting the firewall adjuster.

You want about 1/8-1/4" of play between the tob and p/p fingers... Roughly.

You can check the adjustment by pulling the cover plate off the bell housing and looking to see what kind of play you have between the two. You want to do this while the car is running. You have to make sure your tob is not riding on the pressure plate bc if it is it will wear very quickly and thet tranny will need to be pulled again to replace a $30 part. It's a pain.

I have some pics if you want to see them but that's pretty much the process.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info