• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Well, I'd better ask this here.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
All you gents with GT500's, can you tell me if I should be hearing a high pitched howl when doing low speed turns either left or right? It usually happens when going around corners in like a parking lot or gas station. The steering is no where near full lock, and the fluid is full. Its been happening since 4 miles on the odo and I keep forgetting to take it in.

Brian

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Could be the pads breaking in:dunno:

Nope, I had the oil changed at Buss ford a few days ago and when it was up on the rack they noticed some black residue on the inside of both front rims. It was along the outside lip and looked like paint scraped all the way around. The oil change guys(useless) tried to see where it might be scraping on, but there was no sign anywhere on the control arms, shock body or the inner fender well of wear. So they called the service manager in to inspect and he told me to make an appointment to bring it in, and then they could sort it out. It seems to have gotten way better, and I was unable to reproduce it the other day so maybe whatever it was scraping on has made its own clearence and its done. :dunno:

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
wheel weights still there?

They are, and actually the scraped black residue goes over them. At first I thought it was from when the tires were mounted, but when the guy pointed out that the weight had it on there too it was clear that they were rubbing. The sound was like a high pitched harmonic howl that you can only hear at low speed corners like in a parking lot. Its really anoying. And, I think I am getting the horrible trans issues that plague the GT500. There is some HUGE TSB that replaces like $6k worth of clutch, flywheel and trans parts. Its going in to the dealer today, so I should know tomorrow.

Brian

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Well, I got the car back from the dealership yesterday and as expected they could not reproduce any of my concerns. But I tried to get it to do the noise again while low speed turning and I couldn't get it to do it either? Also, the trans seems to be working perfect now too. Who the hell knows? Maybe the car just needed a few more break in miles. Its only at 1700 on the odo. They claimed they cleaned the black residue off the wheels and will recheck it on my next oil change. And as for the trans, I should know if its also ok because this weekend I'm going to byron with it.

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
I know my car is different, but in the GT500 supliment it says the trans can be noisey due the twin disc clutch. I haven't heard anything, much less missed a gear etc., As far as black stuff on the inside of the wheels??/ I noticed that on my front wheels also, right on the rims edge by the tire, like it scraped something. I figure it's a rack or something that holds the wheels as they move around the plant for instalation?? Wild guess, but, there's no marks on the inside of me wheels or weights.

So far all I hear is what sounds like a pulley that's NOT happy, it seems like a little grinding, but it too comes and goes.

So far my only real problem is my dislike for the key fob. The buttons are too small, and I don't like having to hit the trunk twice. Life is so tough.

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
My front wheels are grinding as I turn into the driveway or any turn in parking lots etc., I don't notice it all the time, but I do notice it sometimes. YIKES, what's this now. Hopefully just a bad batch of front wheel bearings??? I'm going to let it go for now until it's real obvious.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info