• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

smoked the clutch tonight

gteatr6

Regular
Jun 6, 2008
As the title says I did it. I had a centerforce dual friction piece of crap in my 04, until I did a 5g dump. My neighbor called and said his yard still smells like burnt clutch. Anyway, now that I HAVE to change it, what should I go with for mostly street, but some strip? I have 2 stock clutches on hand still and one stock flywheel. I don't think I have to go with a 26 spline for what I want to do, but I will if need be. Oh, yes beer was involved in the smoking of the clutch and not the tires. Please no smart ass remarks as I am already a smart ass:clap:

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
As the title says I did it. I had a centerforce dual friction piece of crap in my 04, until I did a 5g dump. My neighbor called and said his yard still smells like burnt clutch. Anyway, now that I HAVE to change it, what should I go with for mostly street, but some strip? I have 2 stock clutches on hand still and one stock flywheel. I don't think I have to go with a 26 spline for what I want to do, but I will if need be. Oh, yes beer was involved in the smoking of the clutch and not the tires. Please no smart ass remarks as I am already a smart ass:clap:

Spec 3+ works great for me. Alot of people are going twin disc clutch but its big $. My suggestion is do the 26 spline its one of the weakest links and you wont regret having a piece of mind.

And also stay with a steel flywheel, I wish I did. Revs drop very quickly on aluminum flywheel, makes it alot harder to speed shift. This is strictly my experience and opinion everyone is different. GL

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
I was going to go with a steel flywheel when I did the centerforce, but stuck with the stock aluminum. Do you notice it taking longer to rev than stock now? How is it has a driver? I heard the steel is better for the strip. Thanks.

No it will rev faster because its aluminum, but with this you will also see the revs drop faster too. Get a DFX as someone said. Any brand will be fine....centerforce, ram, spec 3+, zoom. They all have about the same torque specs. Mine came with 900lb torque capability.

If you can find a steel 26 spline flywheel get it. You say you drive on the street you will prob like the steel better.

Also FYI any one of the clutches I listed above, provide you do the pressure plate that comes with it (optional) will have a much easier clutch pedal feel than stock. Stock is a slip design and is a pain in the ass IMO.

about2bite

SVTNProgress
Oct 13, 2007
I loved my Centerforce DF, honestly though I would just go with a stock clutch, they are good to roughtly 500 and there are people who have beat the hell out of them at the track. The only reason I say this is bc I hate having to adjust the clutch and keep an eye on my tob. The spec 3+ is a good clutch that has proved itself time and time again.

I plan on running a McLeod RST twin disc when I replace mine, which will be soon.

gteatr6

Regular
Jun 6, 2008
I ordered a RAM powergrip hd kit this morning along with a ford racing billet flywheel from JEGS. I will have it by saturday:clap:. I figured if I want to add power later, I will have a decent clutch now to handle it. I was running a centerforce, but it never seemed right. I don't know if it was the wrong one, I bought it new for like 320 something, or if the dealer jacked it up when it was installed. Oh well , it is junk now. One other question. Do I still use the stock flywheel spacer when switching to a steel one or is it just used with the aluminum ones? This might be a self answered question when I am able to compare the flywheels, but I figured someone here would know. Thanks guys.

gteatr6

Regular
Jun 6, 2008
Clutch is in and works great. I went with the steel billet ford motor sports flywheel. Takes off awesome, no chatter, and way better pedal. Now I have to break it in. The center force df I took out still looked new except for the gouges in the center on the pressure plate side and minimal gouges on the flywheel side. The flywheel however hass 3 major burn marks and you can physically see the warpage on the wear surface. The cener force never did feel right. I let the dealer install it under a warranty issue with the car. I guess if you want something done right, do it yourself. If anyone needs a stock aluminum flywheel, I have another one that is perfect. Just give me a shout as obviously I won't need it now that I went with a billet one. I have a couple of stock clutches also that are in very good shape. I know one has 9000 mi on it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info