• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Chicagoland race tracks?

Cobratron

Regular
Jun 1, 2009
thanks for the welcome...I own a 03 10th anniversary Cobra convertible. Found this site on svtperformance.com and was kind of pissed I didn't find it last year. this is gold for Chicago Cobra owners to shoot ideas around!

I'm dying to find a track that's close to Chicago, but haven't found one yet. Someone mentioned the Byron Dragway track which I will definitely look into. thanks.

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
You're not going to go "road racing" with a street car. Start with some driving schools held at the local tracks

autobahn country club
blackhawk farms raceway
gingerman raceway
putnam park
mid-america motorplex
lake geneva
milwaukee mile infield

and when you're ready to step up to the big time

road america

start by joining a club
scmc
svtoa
midwestern council of sports car clubs

see which group you like

time attacks and driving schools let you blast around in your street car. its not nearly as risky as going racing, where people are trying to pass you on the outside of a corner.

gteatr6

Regular
Jun 6, 2008
You would need a real roll bar (cage) with a coupe also (depending how fast you are). I've run 12.2's with my GN at Byron before and never had a helmet. They will let some things slide the first couple of times depending on the car. My termi convertible ran a 12.8 stock, with the stock crap tires, and that was taking off from the line like a granny from a stoplight (wheel hop was bad if I dumped at all). I might go next weekend to see what she runs now with the Kurgan tune and new clutch I still have to put in tommorrow. If you are going to race at a track you will need to look up the rules for ihra at least. For example, I believe anything faster than 13.5 you need a helmet. A driveshaft saftey loop is close to the same time also. They do get picky if you have nos and slicks. Then you have to have the longer wheel studs. Anyway, it is fun and good luck.

innrkid

I hunt, I eat
Oct 4, 2007
I do a lot of the local road course tracks. There are a couple of ways to go to get track time around here.

NASA
http://www.nasamidwest.com/

I will be going to my first event with these guys this year. I know others who are a part of this group and they speak highly of the organization.

http://www.mcscc.org/

This is a halo organization to a bunch of smaller clubs. Midwest council has the ability to get the track time and is the organizing body for the smaller clubs. Join a club and you can run these events at member prices.

http://www.mvptracktime.com/index.html

I went to my first event with this group last Monday, June 1st. Excellent! 6 20 minute sessions at Autobahn on the full track (3.5) miles. Very well run, good people and all sorts of different cars.

None of the tracks are real close, but they have all been worth the drive! It sounds like you want HPDE (track time) events vs Autocross (timed). My experience is that with HPDE you get a lot of track time and autocross you get some decent track time in warm ups, after that it's an afternoon of single lap timed runs.

If I can help let me know. If there is an event that you end up deciding to participate in, and I'm going as well, I would be willing to meet and get you through the process of tech inspection etc.

Good luck,

scca_stang

Owns Assault Rifles
Dec 4, 2008
it's a bit of a haul, but I have been autocrossing for years with the CCSCC (Champaign County Sports Car Club) www.CCSportscarclub.org
it is an orginization down in the Champaign Area, they race at the old Rantoul Airbase location and at the Coles County Airfield.

lots of cheap fun... costs $30 for the first day for non members and $15 for day two... Members get in for $20 and $10
Membership costs $15

the other thing is that all you need is a car that will pass tech (no oil leaks, nothing falling off the car, battery tied down, no cords showing in tires)

verts can run with-out a roll bar, but the top has to be down...

it's all on a clock, no-wheel to wheel action

Cobratron

Regular
Jun 1, 2009
Hey thanks so much for the info.! I am a nube/newb/first timer to the tracks so this is great. I do not have a roll bar on the vert so I guess that would be the next step for me.

Which event were you going to next? what site? I'll try to get registered etc. as well. that would be great if we could meet up and go over the walk through of the inspection process. thanks again

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info