• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

can i use my stock cobra brakes on a solid rear end

01Cobra

Johnny Cobra
May 3, 2006
m5lp_0303_02_z+1998_ford_mustang_cobra+rear_promo_shot.jpg

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
i used my cobra calipers on gt brake carriers and they worked just fine. in fact my cobra calipers had the same part number as the 94 gt rear end that i had so i didn't have to undo any brake lines. does your solid not have any brakes on it?

The calipers are the same, but the cobra rotors are bigger so you need the cobra adapter plates that bolt to end of housing to place the caliper bracket in the correct location.

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
wrong.

the caliper bracket is different.....i think thats why i couldnt use mine...
yes.

GT brakes.
wrong.

sorry bro
wrong.

Unless you get a housinig out of a mach 1, you would have to put cobra caliper adapter plates. You can get the plates and anti moan brackets from ford for like 120.00
YES!

Please dont listen to guys that dont know what they're talking about.
Like you said Logan, it can be done, but you may have problems mounting 15" wheels, depending on the shape of the inside of the wheel.

I dont know if Mach 1 caliper brackets will work, but like Carl said, it seems like it would in theory if the rotor is the same size as Cobra. However, things like axle width and/or year of the SRA will determine the specs needed on the wheels

I used these from North Racecars... http://www.northracecars.com/Brakes.html they have everything you need to put the Cobra brakes on a solid...

Like I said, I had all this stuff on with Cobra brakes, and they wouldnt clear the inside of my 15x10 MT ET Drag wheels (6.5" backspace) with any amount of grinding. I ended up putting GT brakes on after all that, lol.
Hope this helps.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
I would recommend using the GT brackets and go with the smaller rotors.
I have had both setups on my car and the difference is minimal.
With the smaller rotors, you can use any rim/tire combination you want.

If you are still set on keeping the Cobra brakes, I have a set of mounting brackets from my original setup before I changed over to the GT setup that I want to sell.

10thredvert

Nov 10, 2008
Use the cobra caliper with the GT bracket and rotor. The calipers have the same bolt spacing.

If you want to make your set-up NHRA legal then you should consider using Strange Engineering's new C-clip eliminator that allows you to use ABS http://www.strangeengineering.net/catalog/index.html Part #A1096 for GT A1098 for cobra (Caliper will bolt to either just different size rotor).

Further, If you want to put 9" ends on a 8.8 there are several companies out there that make bearing retainer\caliper brackets for 9" ends (no ABS). Currie is one that comes to mind but you should talk to the company welding on the ends for there advise http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/productsRE.aspx?id=2373.

Just as others have suggested the cobra rotor is 11.625" and will make using 15" wheels very difficult. The 10" GT rotor is the one you want for 15" wheels.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info