• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

motor is hurt =(

ITLLOWNU

oh hai!
Jan 1, 2008
well i have been having an issue with smoke on start up for about a year and a half now and i figured it was just the typical valve seals going. but today while out for a little cruise i noticed that it smokes on every startup now even after only sitting for 5-10mins.. and to make things worse when im driving and i go to leave from a stop and give it gas ,a little puff of smoke appears. so now im frustrated ..

the funny thing is it hasnt been burning any noticeable amounts of oil..dipstick always reads good:mad:

im guessing a leak down and compression test are in order now

i knew this was coming but id hoped it would make it through the summer while my new build was underway but now i have to start early.

any ideas

ITLLOWNU

oh hai!
Jan 1, 2008
I noticed these 4V motors smoke a lot more than any other Ive seen, it might be a good idea to take apart the motor now before you end up with more damage if you plan on rebuilding.

yeah..the shop next to mine is a machine shop and they jsut did an 03 motor that had a kb and a bad tune( way lean...destroyed 2 pistons)
so when i go back in on monday , me gets a feel for rebuild ..the timimg of this sucks so bad and makes me not even want to fuck with it anymore:crying:

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
yeah..the shop next to mine is a machine shop and they jsut did an 03 motor that had a kb and a bad tune( way lean...destroyed 2 pistons)
so when i go back in on monday , me gets a feel for rebuild ..the timimg of this sucks so bad and makes me not even want to fuck with it anymore:crying:
that sucks but just build it bigger... 3.4 whipple!

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
Valve seals a little hard/deposited? You got enough valves - :)

Ever heard of AutoRX? It might be worth a shot, it is real good at cleaning up that kind of stuff. Good at overall gentle engine cleaning too. If you got a sticky ring or two it will free them up over time too. Takes about 1500 miles to see if it is doing what you want, however.

ITLLOWNU

oh hai!
Jan 1, 2008
question... ( i was thinking while out walking my dog)..

the smoke on startup doesnt bother me a bit...its a common problem with the mod motors and it hasnt been burning any..heres the thing .. yetserday i went and got 5 gallons of 100 octane and mixed it in with the 93. i like to do that in the warm weather to help void off detonation with the amount of boost im running, the tune is mild.. but just to be safe.

so my qusetion is ..is the smoke im seeing when i rev it a little just unburnt fuel? its very hard to see but it is there , and i can see it from the tail pipes were as in summers past with the dumps on the car , i couldnt .

because i had not noticed smoke at all and even asked people that were following me before, to watch for smoke. and there was none

i think im coming to irrational conclusions and im going to run this tank of gas out and see if it goes away with regular 93 back in it or flip the switch to the race tune and see if that stops it too .

and with the exhaust im running its basically open all the way back so im gonna see whatevers coming out there perfectly

it runs perfect and still feels as strong as ever so..

oh well either way i was planning on doing a new aluminum block build with updated heads and cams at the end of this summer through the winter. so im gonna give this little powerhouse the respect its earned me and run it into the ground:headbang: when and if she goes , she goes:biggthump

ITLLOWNU

oh hai!
Jan 1, 2008
see post #4

:D

My car has done this, and jimbo just confirmed that it did it to him as well. My car doesn't consume motor oil, but the S/C does go through oil.

So I am confused about my car, I just want to take the kb off and send it in to get rebuilt and then go from there.

sounds like a seal is gone in the blower..my buddies 2.2 did the same thing but his was eating oil in ounces in like 30mins of driving

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info