• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Alternator squeaks

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
So I put on a new alternator about 2 months ago.... well refurbished anyway oem motorcraft. So since I have a 4# lower I also have a 3.5 inch alternator pulley so it does not overspin. Well needless to say this one has a squeak now too. A small one. But when the car warms up and it pretty much stops. Is it the bearings again. I use to run a little bigger belt and went with a smaller one and the squeaking went away, but now its back. Do you guys think it might be the belt?

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
I had a squeak for a while and thought it was a bearing from one of the pulleys. I changed every one and the squeak never went away. I finally changed belts from a Gates to a Goodyear and the squeak went away. Go figure.

Yes I just changed belts, and guess what my squeak went away. I went one size smaller than I usually have on there, and it was insanely hard to get on there, I even had to notch the tensioner. But it made a hell of a difference, my car goes into boost faster, and I even gained 1psi.

I know gates is prob the best belt out but I dont think it likes to stay on these cars for too long. I had a gator back in the past, never squeaked, it sounded cool, but I think it slipped like crazy. I currently have a stock pile of 6 belts at home, and only 1 works lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• FuelSlut
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list