• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Terminator name?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
probably a stupid question, but why are 03/04 Cobra's called Terminators

Terminator was an insider code name for the supercharged Cobra. Originally, the 2003 Cobra was supposed to be naturally aspirated. A top gear test had some poor results during acceleration testing vs. an SVT Focus. Later, John Coletti who was in charge of SVT was among a group of engineers who were thrashing a prototype naturally aspirated Cobra. They stopped at a gas station. Coletti walked by the engineers and told them "he was going into the gas station to get a 6 pack of Alpo because this Cobra is a dog". He said he would not sign off on the car. Told the engineers to put a supercharger on the car. They did so and the word around the shop was that the car was going to be crazy powerful and destroy Camaros or anything else on the market. The name "Terminator" started getting passed around and eventually became the code name for the car. Ford went so far as to put "Terminator" on build sheets and other paperwork that was built into the cars. Check under your rear bumper and you might get lucky and find a sheet with "Terminator" on it. Unfortunately, Ford didn't own the Terminator rights so the name remained internal and "unofficial". Many of us with Terminator Cobras paint our snakes eyes red as a tie in to the Terminator name.

innrkid

I hunt, I eat
Oct 4, 2007
That was a great story. The people at SVT thought he (Colleti) was crazy.

In the book Iron Fist, Lead Foot they say there is one part that is stamped "terminator" and actually made it onto the production vehicle. If I recall they said it was the insert on the side scoops. If you take them off you will find the word stamped into the part.
I have not checked mine. I am going to check under the rear bumper now. Where exactly is it located?

Terminator was an insider code name for the supercharged Cobra. Originally, the 2003 Cobra was supposed to be naturally aspirated. A top gear test had some poor results during acceleration testing vs. an SVT Focus. Later, John Coletti who was in charge of SVT was among a group of engineers who were thrashing a prototype naturally aspirated Cobra. They stopped at a gas station. Coletti walked by the engineers and told them "he was going into the gas station to get a 6 pack of Alpo because this Cobra is a dog". He said he would not sign off on the car. Told the engineers to put a supercharger on the car. They did so and the word around the shop was that the car was going to be crazy powerful and destroy Camaros or anything else on the market. The name "Terminator" started getting passed around and eventually became the code name for the car. Ford went so far as to put "Terminator" on build sheets and other paperwork that was built into the cars. Check under your rear bumper and you might get lucky and find a sheet with "Terminator" on it. Unfortunately, Ford didn't own the Terminator rights so the name remained internal and "unofficial". Many of us with Terminator Cobras paint our snakes eyes red as a tie in to the Terminator name.

Shmirgin44

Fire and Ice
Aug 14, 2007
That was a great story. The people at SVT thought he (Colleti) was crazy.

In the book Iron Fist, Lead Foot they say there is one part that is stamped "terminator" and actually made it onto the production vehicle. If I recall they said it was the insert on the side scoops. If you take them off you will find the word stamped into the part.
I have not checked mine. I am going to check under the rear bumper now. Where exactly is it located?

On the side scoops insert huh? I just happen to have mine off (errant cone in auto-x this weekend, :eek:h:) I'll check it when I get home

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info