• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

How to properly shift without blowing-up tranny?

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Ever since I had my car pullied, I have found it difficult to smoothly shift into 3rd gear from 2nd at any RPM's above 3000. It's not that the transmission won't shift, I just can't seem to do it smoothly anymore with the extra power the engine is making.

Whenever I shift and re-engage the clutch, I get a huge "bang" which isn't good and sounds like it will eventually break something. To me it seems that the RPM's are dropping too fast when I shift which is putting a strain on the drive train when the clutch finally grabs.

Any thoughts on how I can avoid this? I've become afraid to get on it in fear that I'm going to grenade the transmission, so I drive like a granny.

Should I not take my foot off the gas when shifting at RPM's above 3K? Maybe keep the throttle open a little?

Suggestions?

about2bite

SVTNProgress
Oct 13, 2007
Well as far as the RPM is concerned shifting faster is really the answer, I have a MGW short throw and it's a pretty nice shifter to get the car in gear quick. If you are having issues getting the car in gear you may want to make sure your clutch/cable is adjusted properly.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Ever since I had my car pullied, I have found it difficult to smoothly shift into 3rd gear from 2nd at any RPM's above 3000. It's not that the transmission won't shift, I just can't seem to do it smoothly anymore with the extra power the engine is making.

Whenever I shift and re-engage the clutch, I get a huge "bang" which isn't good and sounds like it will eventually break something. To me it seems that the RPM's are dropping too fast when I shift which is putting a strain on the drive train when the clutch finally grabs.

Any thoughts on how I can avoid this? I've become afraid to get on it in fear that I'm going to grenade the transmission, so I drive like a granny.

Should I not take my foot off the gas when shifting at RPM's above 3K? Maybe keep the throttle open a little?

Suggestions?

I can fix your issue for free. PM me for details. DONT buy a new clutch or quadrant.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info