• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

control arm bushing questions

scca_stang

Owns Assault Rifles
Dec 4, 2008
OK guys...

here is my situation,

I bought a pair of lower control arms from Box 1, according to the guy that sold him the arms they are from a '00 GT

I glanced at them and at a quick glance they appeared to be the same as my old shitty ones from my '95 GT... so when I took my old shitty ones off I threw them out :eek:h:. so then I paid Joe from CRE to burn out the '00 GT stock bushings and press in some new bushings from a Prothane kit (94-04)... the forward bushing went just perfect, but the rear bushing was WAY too large for the stock bushing shell.... :dunno:.

So I called Prothane and the guy on the phone stated that I was the first person to ever call him with this problem (hard to believe... kind of). anyway, no questions asked he is sending out a new pair of bushings, just in case the ones I have are casted wrong or something, but he finds that very hard to believe due to the fact that the part numbers are part of the mold.

so I used my Dial Caliper and measured the ID of the rear stock bushing shell and it is 1.85" ID... can anyone tell me what control arms I have so I can order the correct bushings?

can anyone also tell me if I can even use these arms even after I identify them and get the correct bushings? or am I throwing good money after bad and need to just give up on them and find another set of stock Control arms?

does anyone have an other set of stock control arms, preferably newer with newer bushings and balljoints?

Bigturbonotch

WAIT AND SEE
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2005
The guy that I bought them from said they were from a 00gt. And they looked like arms from a 99-04 as I have taken my front end off the cobra and they looked similar. I bought his complete front end brake setup. The control arms were bolted to the spindles...not sure why this is not working you.

Fast99Snake

track rat
Jun 26, 2005
yup, I confirmed for him they were definitely not sn-95 arms, box 1 is a good guy though, the guy who told him they were off an 00GT is just a numbnuts I guess.
So he got to pick up my oem arms for cheap and I was glad to get 'em out of my dad's basement, so it all worked out fine.

jfranci3

Regular
May 13, 2005
I'm probably too late here. Shebly (John) is right. Front control arm bushings suck to change. You should just go Delrin right now. They don't cost THAT much, will ride better, and make your steering much more consistant. The whole reason you want to change out those bushings is to remove varibility in your suspension/steering. The poly isn't going to be any better than the rubber. The Delrin will eliminate all that varibility without adding too much NHV.

Fast99Snake

track rat
Jun 26, 2005
if your going to spend a couple hundred on just bushings for those flimsy heavy pos stamped oem arms and go through the trouble of taking out the old shit and putting in new why not just go with a set of MM arms with the delrin. unless your required to stay conventional spring for classing the cost to move up to coilovers is well wellll wellllll worth it.

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
if your going to spend a couple hundred on just bushings for those flimsy heavy pos stamped oem arms and go through the trouble of taking out the old shit and putting in new why not just go with a set of MM arms with the delrin. unless your required to stay conventional spring for classing the cost to move up to coilovers is well wellll wellllll worth it.

becuase the oem arms are about 80x stronger than the mm arms. if you bend a stock ford control arm, you were playin dukes of hazzard and got some good air.

stock arms, delrin bushings, x2 ball joint for a spiffy front end on the cheap. [its what i run, and while i might drive with feet of clay, the car has plenty of quickness in it]

Ask Larry [PETSNKE] how my car grips. He's got more passenger seat time in my car than anyone else, on track.

Fast99Snake

track rat
Jun 26, 2005
I don't doubt your car to be plenty fast, although Larry got his ass passed by my lowly GT at autobahn last fall. :)

As for the ford arms being stronger, they just look flimsy to me and probably flex more than I care to know, I'm not saying your ever going to break one, I'm just saying the MM arms look much more rigid. I'm just sayin', ya' know what I'm sayin'?
I run the x2 balljoints in the MM arms and love it.

PETSNKE

DRIVEN
Mar 13, 2004
I don't doubt your car to be plenty fast, although Larry got his ass passed by my lowly GT at autobahn last fall. :)

I wave alot cars on R-comp tires by me after Autobahn South turns 9 & 10. It doesn't matter one bit to me because it's a lapping day, not racing, no prize money, no supermodels to impress, just plain good ole fashion performance driving at it's best.
I remember years ago a instructor once told me as we were watching the wrecker pull a car off the tire wall, "That guy didn't leave his ego in the paddock":lmao:

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004

As for the ford arms being stronger, they just look flimsy to me and probably flex more than I care to know, I'm not saying your ever going to break one, I'm just saying the MM arms look much more rigid. I'm just sayin', ya' know what I'm sayin'?
I run the x2 balljoints in the MM arms and love it.

Right after I clicked 'post' I realized that the control arm is where you WANT the weak point...I'd rather bend an arm than something else...

on edit: Autobahn Oktoberfast is one of the more fun events to hit. Drop the coin if you can.

Vince Rules, period.

HAH while I no longer run my server, I still have my old videos...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info