• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

grinding of the gears

jtorres678

Apr 1, 2009
hi this is like my first time on this website, i just got a quick question, lets say i bought a contour se 98 V6 2.5L DOHC car with about 81000 miles. and like its my first manual car. my friend was driving it for a week and he grinded the gears about 5 times getting it into first gear. i did it twice. but today was the worst one so i think. i was drivin maybe goin 35 to 40 mph. i was on third gear. i kinda dropped it to second. but i let off the clutch to early. and made a loud grinding noise i looked at the rpms, and it shot up to 6000rpms while grinding and i slammed on the clutch. now is there anythin to worry about. and also when i am on neutral it idles a little below 1000, and it makes this low and kinda deep clicking noise. but when i push the clutch in and go to first, it stops. is it like the fan or something. let me know someone please. its my first manual car. and i dont wanna mess it up. thanks

jaykruger

Juiced, ported and blown
Mar 30, 2007
Ok, 1st that is a great car, the engine lasts forever but around 70,000 it will need a new water pump. The trasmission has a cable link gear selector and many times the cables get lose and start to make shifts intresting. I know that car in and out if you need help let me know.

2nd most cars can take a few gear mashes, I would not worry about it too much if you really want to be cautios you can do a fluid change on the transmission and check for shavings.

The clicking could be several things, if it goes away when in gear and is there when not at idle is likly not the engine, but like I said those little mazda engines rock. So a few more questions

1. Does it make the noise at idle with the clutch in and out or one or the other?
2. does it make it at hight rpms withour the clutch in? Without?

jtorres678

Apr 1, 2009
it makes that noise when it idles without the clutch in. but when i press it, it still does it. but when the clutch is in and i move it to the left and get ready to get it into first. the noise stops. i think it makes the noise when clutch is in when in first and give it gas, i think i am not sure. thanks man, i am happy i found someone who really knows about this car.

SHOgoFast

Nov 20, 2008
is it possible that the car has a after market clutch and flywheel it may be just clutch chatter

I agree with this one. Also referred to as gear rollover noise. If it goes away when you depress the clutch it should not be of any concern.

The grinding of gears is not a large concern either unless the previous owner really beat on it.

The 3rd gear synchro is the one that fails/wears out first in these gearboxes. As another poster mentioned, the cable ends could be worn. They are just plastic and can also crack and come apart, leading to sloppy shifting and missing shifts.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info