• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Screeching noise turning wheel

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Hey guys, I need some more input about my 03.

The other day, I noticed after getting ready to back the car into the garage, each time I turned the wheel toward the passenger side of the car, it would make a screeching noise. I parked the car, and in park, it makes the noise. While driving, and turning somewhat quickly, it doesn't. However, if you turn slowly, you can hear it. If you go over speed bumps, it sounds like a rocking type noise.

Anyone have any idea what it is, and how it can be fixed?

Thanks!

-Chris

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
Hey guys, I need some more input about my 03.

The other day, I noticed after getting ready to back the car into the garage, each time I turned the wheel toward the passenger side of the car, it would make a screeching noise. I parked the car, and in park, it makes the noise. While driving, and turning somewhat quickly, it doesn't. However, if you turn slowly, you can hear it. If you go over speed bumps, it sounds like a rocking type noise.

Anyone have any idea what it is, and how it can be fixed?

Thanks!

-Chris
Don't care what year mustang it is they r known for power steering pump faliure. I have been fortunate so far. Start looking there, if not check your brake caliper shield, they can easily bend and rub on a wheel or tie rod. Had this happen b 4.

My car makes a weird thump only when I'm going in reverse and repeatedly hit the brake. Its weird but everything works fine. Lol

10thSVT_03

DRRRT PROSPECT
Feb 28, 2009
Thanks for the info guys.

Unfortunately, I don't have a warranty. If I cannot find the problem, I might just take the car to Hans, and see if he can fix it. I'll check those things though and see if the problem persists.

-Chris
Power steering fluid low by chance? Also sounds to me like the pump is straining and sometimes low fluid or starting to fail will cause these noises.. I would have someone under the hood to listen and you cut the wheel and see if they can determine the location of the noise. The power steering pump replacement is easy and can be done in about 30 minutes..

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Power steering fluid low by chance? Also sounds to me like the pump is straining and sometimes low fluid or starting to fail will cause these noises.. I would have someone under the hood to listen and you cut the wheel and see if they can determine the location of the noise. The power steering pump replacement is easy and can be done in about 30 minutes..

I just looked at the fluid, and it looks like the fluid is at Min. Level.

Any ideas on what fluid to use? Is it ok to mix power-steering fluid, since I have no idea what kind is in there now. Thanks again!

10thSVT_03

DRRRT PROSPECT
Feb 28, 2009
I just looked at the fluid, and it looks like the fluid is at Min. Level.

Any ideas on what fluid to use? Is it ok to mix power-steering fluid, since I have no idea what kind is in there now. Thanks again!
Should say on the cap something like Dexron type fluid. Brand wont matter but type of fluid is important. Like mixing synthetic with regular oil... Also check the condition of the fluid in the reservoir may be time for a fluid change. Also check your lines for leaks and dry rot in the hoses and fittings while your under there..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info