• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

picking up a lightning what mods to do?

V

venmousracer

Hey guys, I Got a killer killer killer deal on a 99 black lightning with 105kmiles on it. needless to say it does need TLC as it was a daily driver for a constrution worker. I had to pck it up for the price I did.

Now,

I will be doing the needed TLC on the truck and I want to mod it to be ready for spring time,
What MODS and where to get them.

I want around 400-450rwhp out of the damn thing to have some fun since my cobra has been down for 4 years

any maintance to look for as well..... Thanks Eddie

V

venmousracer

don't want to swap in a kb or whipple, no built motor. Just want a fun nice cruisning truck. with some power. I may keep it for a while may sell it this spring. I have my cobra forsale, recently found out I am going to be a father, ( EXTREMELY HAPPY ), and buying a house this summer. May do the 03-up lightning apperiance upgrades and I want to see some proven mods that are track worthy...Eddie

V

venmousracer

Good info guys, where is a good place to get 02+ plus stuff to make the lightning appear more like a 02 newer. I am looking for the following parts,

rear tail lights
front head lights
front upper and lower grill
02 newer, aluminum driveshaft
bilistein shocks.

also good place to find a replacement drivers seat or have it renewed.

Let me know...Eddie

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
Good info guys, where is a good place to get 02+ plus stuff to make the lightning appear more like a 02 newer. I am looking for the following parts,

rear tail lights
front head lights
front upper and lower grill
02 newer, aluminum driveshaft
bilistein shocks.

also good place to find a replacement drivers seat or have it renewed.

Let me know...Eddie

http://www.nloc.net/classifieds/showcat.php/cat/7

That ought to do it.:biggthump
Happy shopping.

red-light

Addict
Feb 14, 2007
yea nloc classifeds for used parts ftw.

as for things to look/watch for..... get someone to run an oasis report to see if the intercooler has been recalled/replaced..they were faulty and the second you add boost it will prolly blow/leak like mine did.
2nd .... the heads did not have enough threads to proplery hold the plugs and 99/2000's are known for shooting plugs out.

haven't been on here, but here's my 2 cents... a Lightning's no DD and for the amount of money you're gonna end up putting out for bolt on (intake, exhaust, pulley, plugs, MAF, ported blower and such) you're gonna be kicking in the butt for not going whipple or KB. get a used SC a good tune from Kurgan and you're set. If you keep the boost low you really don't need a built bottom end, but Bob will take care of you...

Rafal

it was only my opinion.... with 450 to the wheels even on a good tire, it's still a scary drive in snow or heavy rain. After getting my tune from Bob a few years ago, on the way back from the shop it took me about 3.5 hours to get home because of the snow, where normally it would taken me 45 min at the most. I'm not saying it can't be done, I just always looked at my Lightning as a dry pavement/weekend truck (then I beat it to hell and back)

Rafal

jvert

Go Bulls and Cubs
Jul 27, 2006
I love my Lightning and its a blast to drive. I got mine tuned by Bob Kurgan (Great service) and its a bad @$$ vehicle to have to carry stuff. I have a pulley, MAF, Catback, CAI and Im at 376hp at the wheels! Yes, the truck is scary to drive in the rain and almost dont get any traction at all. Just be smart and careful when you drive it. The one thing to look out for is that EVERYONE is going to ask you to borrow it to move stuff or pick up stuff. I personally dont trust to many people driving my cars let alone a truck that has a "little bit" of a kick to it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info