• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

How do I fix this?

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
If there is even a fix. Ever since I got the focus, when I hit bumps, or when Im traveling 65mph + on highway and hit a dip or big bump my car feels it just ran into a wall. Its either the socks or the low profile tires or just the suspension design. Both my rims in front r bent and Im just tired of having to go 45 mph in certain spots on the highway w big dips. Whats the deal is everyones svt like this:dunno:?

Mystic544

TimmaY
Apr 7, 2004
Peoria, AZ
Bent rims on the stock SVT 5 star rims seem to be a common issue:mad:
I just switched my ST200 rims and summer tires back to OEM SVT 5 star rims and lower profile ContiSport tires (no, they are not good in snow either) and I really feel the bumps a lot more now. Guessing it is mostly due to the hard sidewalls on the tires....know it is annoying!
Have been thinking that the stock shock and springs are starting to wear a bit now that I am at 60K miles..."seat of my pants" says they are still pretty good for OEM, but not as responsive as they used to be. If you have a lot more miles on your SVT Focus that could be something to look at.
Anyway, good luck!
:alcoholic

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
Bent rims on the stock SVT 5 star rims seem to be a common issue:mad:
I just switched my ST200 rims and summer tires back to OEM SVT 5 star rims and lower profile ContiSport tires (no, they are not good in snow either) and I really feel the bumps a lot more now. Guessing it is mostly due to the hard sidewalls on the tires....know it is annoying!
Have been thinking that the stock shock and springs are starting to wear a bit now that I am at 60K miles..."seat of my pants" says they are still pretty good for OEM, but not as responsive as they used to be. If you have a lot more miles on your SVT Focus that could be something to look at.
Anyway, good luck!
:alcoholic
I have the 15 spoke european wheels w yokahama es400 m and s tires that r awsome in snow. I think I'm gonna invest into 16in wheels and maybe reaserch putting on focus st front shocks they r a softer ride. Don't know but I need 2 get my wheels straightened and rebalanced. This is driving me crazy.

bobbyw

Jul 16, 2008
On my contour svt, it has a koni suspension which is extremely stiff, and 17" wheels with low pros. Yea.....its a rough ride. But it does handle. If its bending rims though thats another story. Other than that it seems like its just something you have to get used to. Unless you go with different struts

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
dan i would say struts and or springs
The car currently has 59 k, so at this point ahould I replace the shocks and springs with stock svt or should I put on something softer and sacrifice handling wich I'm more than willing 2 do. This is more annoying than anything its not one of those deals where its gonna make me get rid of the car, it has an all new valve train and timing belt, so I know I have a car that won't have mechanical problems 4 a while.

fastfocus

TCG Elite Member
Nov 30, 2004
The car currently has 59 k, so at this point ahould I replace the shocks and springs with stock svt or should I put on something softer and sacrifice handling wich I'm more than willing 2 do. This is more annoying than anything its not one of those deals where its gonna make me get rid of the car, it has an all new valve train and timing belt, so I know I have a car that won't have mechanical problems 4 a while.

well has it always been this bad? have you driven another svtf for reference? it might just be your stuff is worn, but new stock stuff would be fine... i have driven a few svtf and i dont remember them being really stiff

Rotard

No respect
Jul 11, 2007
Replace them with stock SVT, are you sure you have stock on there now? I have the pro-kit and its also pretty rough, especially around here. Why not look into getting some 16" contour rims, with that you can run more sidewall on your tire, increasing ride quality a ton.

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
Replace them with stock SVT, are you sure you have stock on there now? I have the pro-kit and its also pretty rough, especially around here. Why not look into getting some 16" contour rims, with that you can run more sidewall on your tire, increasing ride quality a ton.

yes Im thinking of going 16in. and yes the shocks r stock they may just be really worn out and they need 2 b replaced. even w the new shocks it think 16 in is the answer. Someone mentioned in a previous post that 17in wheels r too big 4 this car and I completely agree. 16's should have come on the car

mbsvtfocus03

May 10, 2008
i know how you feel. when i hit a bump hard, the damn dash feels like its going to fall out! we had a lot of road construction is this area over the summer and it sucked! mine has 45k on it now and it has always had a rough front end. my car is in alignment and everything reguarding the front end is tight.

fastfocus

TCG Elite Member
Nov 30, 2004
yes Im thinking of going 16in. and yes the shocks r stock they may just be really worn out and they need 2 b replaced. even w the new shocks it think 16 in is the answer. Someone mentioned in a previous post that 17in wheels r too big 4 this car and I completely agree. 16's should have come on the car

17's are not to big for the car.. they are perfect, the reg focus came with 16's... also double check, the front svt brakes are bigger than a stock focus and i know they cant clear a 15in rim, so a 16in rim might be tight

Rotard

No respect
Jul 11, 2007
17's are not to big for the car.. they are perfect, the reg focus came with 16's... also double check, the front svt brakes are bigger than a stock focus and i know they cant clear a 15in rim, so a 16in rim might be tight

The SVT brakes can clear 16s, some guys that run lowered suspensions also run 16s both for the performance of a lighter weight rim and for comfort.

The perfect size is subjective, some say 17s are perfect since they look the best(they do) but if the OP wants to improve ride comfort 16s would be the way to go.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info