• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Trouble with 04 Cobra Swap... Need some insight

VIPERKILLER

ViperKiller Inc.Since '99
Apr 11, 2006
Trouble with 04 Cobra Swap... Need some insight...

Having a small problem with the 04 cobra swap I'm doing, and was hoping maybe someone can think of something they've come across before or some reason why Im having this issue.

The car was originally a 99GT. Ive kept the GT body harness. ALL the other harnesses are from an 04 cobra. The computer is from an 04 cobra as well.

The engine wont crank over. There is no injector pulse, the ignition coils arent firing, and there is no fuel pressure in general. Yet there is power to everything, including all of those. We thought it might be a problem with the PCM. But I wasnt sure since the mileage is showing up correctly on the gauge cluster. But im told that really doesnt mean that the PCM is good. Does anyone have any ideas why this issue might be happening?

PCM bad? Should I try using a GT PCM? Will the cobra pcm not work with the GT fuel system (my car has 04 cobra pumps, but stock gt the rest of the way) ?

Thanks guys

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
Check the connector near where the right front fender and the cowl meet, near the hinge. It is square and black and has a 10mm screw holding it together. I have a pic if you can't find it.

The pin arrangement may be different between the 99 and the 03.
If you used the engine harness from the 03 and the chassis harness from the 99, your problem may be there

03GEETEE

The "2V" of Chitown
Feb 26, 2007
Check the connector near where the right front fender and the cowl meet, near the hinge. It is square and black and has a 10mm screw holding it together. I have a pic if you can't find it.

The pin arrangement may be different between the 99 and the 03.
If you used the engine harness from the 03 and the chassis harness from the 99, your problem may be there

Good info!

JTR

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
I still can't upload pictures so I can't post it, but I can e-mail it to you if you can't find the connector I am referring to.

Asked about that (posting pics) a couple of weeks ago and I guess it is a forum problem that can't be fixed, so far anyway.

Dan

VIPERKILLER

Apr 11, 2006
I still can't upload pictures so I can't post it, but I can e-mail it to you if you can't find the connector I am referring to.

Asked about that (posting pics) a couple of weeks ago and I guess it is a forum problem that can't be fixed, so far anyway.

Dan

yea, if you can email it, ill fwd it to the shop.

my email is [email protected]

thanks!

tinosc281

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2005
swap

did you have your keys reprogrammed to the 04 ecu?. the 99 keys won't match up.if using the 04 ecu you should change the harness going to ecu .i believe that the polarity is reversed on the ignition coils on the gt.i have the electrical manuals for the gt and the cobra.when i did the swap my car started with the original saleen ecu but ran rough.

VIPERKILLER

Apr 11, 2006
did you have your keys reprogrammed to the 04 ecu?. the 99 keys won't match up.if using the 04 ecu you should change the harness going to ecu .i believe that the polarity is reversed on the ignition coils on the gt.i have the electrical manuals for the gt and the cobra.when i did the swap my car started with the original saleen ecu but ran rough.

yes, as far as im told they repogrammed the keys, remotes, and computer and then turned off pats completely for the time being.

the car was originally an automatic, and since the PCM is a cobra PCM, this is what I was told on svtperf:

Your current PCM is expecting a signal from your clutch depress switch. Without that switch or a bypass it thinks your trying to start it with the clutch engaged.

which seems to make sense given the specifics of the build. what im wondering is, if they are able to go in and close this loop, and make the computer believe that the clutch is depressed, is that even the computers reaction to the clutch not being pressed? where there is cranking, but no fuel pressure, and no ignition coil firing?

:dunno:

tinosc281

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2005
swap

well let me ask you a question?. is your engine cranking.if it is it's not your pats.you are not getting a signal to your fuel pumps.you are using the gt harness to your fuel pumps than the wiring is different.cobra harness has separate neutrals going to the pumps they are the 2 green/yellow wires going from the ccrm module.on the gt harness you have the wire integrated in the body harness from the ccrm module.so you have to take that wire from the gt harness an splice it into the the two green/yellow wires to have the pumps working.i had the same issue.would crank but no fuel pressure.i hope this is your problem.i don't think is the ecu looking for signal.the switch is only a secondary safety issue.

Attachments

• new pictures 009.jpg
    new pictures 009.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 124
  • new pictures 010.jpg
    new pictures 010.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 122
  • new pictures 012.jpg
    new pictures 012.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 122
  • new pictures 011.jpg
    new pictures 011.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 142

VIPERKILLER

Apr 11, 2006
well let me ask you a question?. is your engine cranking.if it is it's not your pats.you are not getting a signal to your fuel pumps.you are using the gt harness to your fuel pumps than the wiring is different.cobra harness has separate neutrals going to the pumps they are the 2 green/yellow wires going from the ccrm module.on the gt harness you have the wire integrated in the body harness from the ccrm module.so you have to take that wire from the gt harness an splice it into the the two green/yellow wires to have the pumps working.i had the same issue.would crank but no fuel pressure.i hope this is your problem.i don't think is the ecu looking for signal.the switch is only a secondary safety issue.

Yes, from what I remember, its cranking for sure. Just not turning over. I havent been there since monday, because I am out of town for the holiday. But Im pretty sure I heard it cranking.

they triple checked to make sure there was power to everything, and the 3 things they mentioned was just that there was 1)no injector pulse, 2)the ignition coils arent firing, and 3)there is no fuel pressure in general.

But yes, I am using the GT body harness in conjunction with the cobra engine harness, so im assuming they will have to splice the wires and get the correct wiring to the Pumps. I am just hoping this solves all three of the issues i listed above.

the pics you posted, which harness is that?

tinosc281

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2005
swap

i will try to take some more picture tommorow.if you are using the 04 ecu you should've replaced the ecu harness to the engine harness.i will have to look at mine because there is another harness that you have to modify.about 11 wires from i can remember because if you used the cobra harness the green plug in the pictures i posted is specific to the gt so it has to be cut off from the original gt harness and pin matched to the cobra harness,hard to explain.i am an electrician by trade and you need the manuals for the wiring so you can compare the wires.they are the same color code between the years but with extra wires for the cobra.iat sensors.but if the shop doing the swap doesn't have electrical knowledge might be a little difficult.i am not assumming it but they should be able to diagnose it.by comparing wiring diagrams.so i don't know exactly what they replaced for me to pin point the problem.i believe that ecu harness goe's all the way to the ccrm module also and plugs into the the power harness.it's been over 2 years since i did the swap and don't remember exactly.pm me and maybe we can talk over the phone.

VIPERKILLER

Apr 11, 2006
i will try to take some more picture tommorow.if you are using the 04 ecu you should've replaced the ecu harness to the engine harness.i will have to look at mine because there is another harness that you have to modify.about 11 wires from i can remember because if you used the cobra harness the green plug in the pictures i posted is specific to the gt so it has to be cut off from the original gt harness and pin matched to the cobra harness,hard to explain.i am an electrician by trade and you need the manuals for the wiring so you can compare the wires.they are the same color code between the years but with extra wires for the cobra.iat sensors.but if the shop doing the swap doesn't have electrical knowledge might be a little difficult.i am not assumming it but they should be able to diagnose it.by comparing wiring diagrams.so i don't know exactly what they replaced for me to pin point the problem.i believe that ecu harness goe's all the way to the ccrm module also and plugs into the the power harness.it's been over 2 years since i did the swap and don't remember exactly.pm me and maybe we can talk over the phone.

I am using the 04 cobra pcm harness as well. the only harness that should be a GT harness is the body harness and anything further back than that. most of what you said is a little confusing to me, but maybe it wont be to them. so im not sure if you still need to do all the wiring youre mentioning if I am using the cobra pcm/ecu harness as well as the engine harness. or if its just the pumps that have to be rewired.

VIPERKILLER

Apr 11, 2006
this is a reply i got on svtperf tino, does this sound about right?

The PROBLEM is at connector (C-210, pin 14) in the kick pannel, RH side !!

The GT fuel pump gets (12v POWER) through the (IFS switch) and (C 210 pin 14) from the CCRM Connector C1262, pin 5, the CCRMs fuel pump relay. The CCRMs fuel pump relay gets its ground (DIRECTLY) from the CCRMs Connector C1262, pin 18 to ground.

The Cobra fuel pumps gets its 12v power (DIRECTLY) from the CCRMs connector C1262, pin 5, the CCRMs fuel pump relay. The CCRMs fuel pump relay gets its ground through the (CCRMs connector, pin 18) and (C210 pin 14) through the (IFS switch), to ground.

SO, you have C210, pin 14 going to the CCRMs connector C1262 pin 18 (fuel pump relay coil ground) vice to the CCRMs connector C1262 pin 5 (fuel pump relay, fuel pump 12v input) if you are using the Cobra Engine harness (12A581) ; REQUIRED, if you are using ALL the Cobra Supercharger Components.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info