• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

engine stumble

avmech

Regular
Aug 7, 2008
hope you guys can help me out. went to Sutton to have a tune done. car runs good but for some reason every now and then it stumbles. I can roll into it or jump on it around 3 to 4 k it feels like the car either runs out of fuel or spark. I had the kb BaP wepon x coils along with the basic mods. I need a tuner who can help me out. I had the wepon x coils removed because they thought that was the problem, so they put the stock ones back in and the same problem occurs. Also do I need a bigger alt because I am running the 30a BAP. want to use the coils but wepon x said they draw to much for a stock alt. Where can I get a bigger alt?

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
hope you guys can help me out. went to Sutton to have a tune done. car runs good but for some reason every now and then it stumbles. I can roll into it or jump on it around 3 to 4 k it feels like the car either runs out of fuel or spark. I had the kb BaP wepon x coils along with the basic mods. I need a tuner who can help me out. I had the wepon x coils removed because they thought that was the problem, so they put the stock ones back in and the same problem occurs. Also do I need a bigger alt because I am running the 30a BAP. want to use the coils but wepon x said they draw to much for a stock alt. Where can I get a bigger alt?
A few things that come to mind.

1) I thought my KB BAP was a 40A, not a 30A. Whichever unit they sell with the higher amperage is the one recommended for our cars.

2) Did they wire the BAP to still work off a boost signal (with a Hobbs switch) or did they wire it up full-time. Mine is still using a Hobbs switch and you'll find a hesitation in certain roll on/rpm situations when it's hooked up that way. It's very noticeable with the KB Hobbs switch (which kicks in at 3 psi I believe). I bought an adjustable Hobbs switch and set it to ~7 psi which works much better.

3) If your alternator is not defective, it should supply more than enough power for your combo.

4) The FRPS could be an issue. Does the car throw any codes?

If I felt the hesitation first hand, I could probably tell you immediately if it's a BAP issue, but it's hard to tell here. If it is using a Hobbs switch setup, try this:

Find where the Hobbs switch is located and take the wires off the switch and wire them together (the BAP will be working full-time now). Try your roll-ons again and see if the problem is still there.

avmech

Regular
Aug 7, 2008
no they took the switch off of the car. Wired it direct. the hesitation feels like its the traction control, but the traction control is always off. the car threw one code and that was on the first start up and the code was a 1233 code. cleared the code and it has never come back. beating my brains out over this

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Thanks Larry

like this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-HOBBS-PRESSURE-SWITCH-1-PSI-NORMALLY-CLOSED_W0QQitemZ180307976107QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Automation_Components?hash=item180307976107&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1240%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

That's not the one I have, but it looks like that'll work...yes.

Randy@SuttonHp

Regular
Mar 11, 2004

Please Pm or e-mail me your contact info
I will have Jerry our tuner contact you first thing monday.
Thanks
Randy

about2bite

SVTNProgress
Oct 13, 2007
Hmmm.... Possibly belt slip?
Or more than likely spark blow out? If you replace the plugs and the gap is still too wide it will still cause a hesitation.

I have the TR6's and am at 19#, they work great. The TR7's will last longer.
Make sure your gap is set where it needs to be, spark blow out will cause what you are describing. I replace mine every other oil change just because they are cheap and simple to replace.

about2bite

SVTNProgress
Oct 13, 2007
That's gotta be loud.

How much boost are you running and where are they gapped at?
FWIW I am gapped at .032 and am running 19#'s on the NGK TR6 coppers with no problems what so ever. I also was having some hesitation a long time ago bc the gap had opened a bit and the spark was gettting blown out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info