• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Cleaning engine

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
I use simple green, spray engine with it let it sit on everything for a few minutes, then fire up the car and let it run. Shield filter from water... and then use house to spray off. Let car run until most water burned off, then wipe down. Next day spray with shine and wipe down all visible areas, looks brand new.

03GEETEE

The "2V" of Chitown
Feb 26, 2007
Simple Green here, engine looks better then the day I bought it. I spray the motor cold with simple green, let it sit just before it starts to dry, then cover the alt, air filter and gentle rinse everything down. Then some compressed air to get the water out of tight spots and its complete.

I never spray any dressing on it because all that does is make things attact dust.

JTR

I sprayed simple green over the whole engine, let it sit on there for 3min then power washed it off. This is what I got:

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

about2bite

SVTNProgress
Oct 13, 2007
Simple green seems to work well too, I bought some engine cleaner from Auto Zone (Not for th ecobra) and it sucked so I would go the Simple Green route before trying something else.

Shield filter from water... and then use house to spray off.

Wow man, any pics of that? I don't know how I would be able to get a house in the engine compartment :lmao:

:joke::toast:

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
If you guys use Simple Green, dilute it some with water. You want the soap to be strong enough to clean but no stronger. Straight Simple Green is pretty potent stuff for an OTC cleaner. I use power washing industry soaps that are better but Simple Green isn't a bad consumer product. Try using it at 25% or 50% strength and see if your results are the same. You'll save a little money and have less chance of etching aluminum or damaging hoses.

As I have mentioned in other threads, With the engine off, I cover the air filter with a towel, pre-spray the engine with soap, power wash it from three directions [basically a rinse since you don't want to get too close with high pressure water], and then, most importantly, blow dry the engine with a leaf blower before starting. Drying the engine keeps electronics from shorting out when you re-start and also saves you the trouble of drying by hand. Faster, better results and no blown computer.

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
I put a plastic bag over my aircleaner, and then I just hose it off with my garden hose. No soap, no touch, I've done it since it's new and only a couple of times I get it a little wet and spray carwash soap on the whole thing, I use a soft brush with long bristles to get in all the areas and I brush all that I can reach, and THEN, I rinse it down with my hose and drive it to nice and hot and then after it cools I'll clean the few spots and use my Cal. Duster to shine up the black stuff. That's only IF I get too dirty, usually I just hose it down and drive away, like when I'm going to the carwash. by the time I get there it's dry and clean.

My enging bay has looked brand new since day 1 for so little effort is ridiculous.

When I see a dirty engine bay I just freak, I can't believe it, but then again, you should see my underwear right now....Whew...go figure.

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
wow you are a moron:eek:h:

maybe on a POS car but not on a car like this

suck a cock.

Theres nothin wrong with power washing a motor as long as you dont sit there and spray one spot for a long time. quick passes wont do anything.

You really think you're motor stays completely dry when it rains?

Plus, when he first made the post, i though he meant it was actually dirty under the hood.

he should have said detail, not clean the engine.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Guys, I have a power washing business. 20+ years of power washing experience. Get the entire area wet before you start. Hood and fenders, too. Don't let soap get on dry paint, metals or rubber. Cover the air filter. Pre-spray with soap. Sponge or soft brush any really dirty areas. Keep the power washing wand away from electronics or sensitive areas, rinse rather than power wash and dry the motor, especially the electronics, before starting the engine. Air drying works best. I use a leaf blower. You can also use compressed air. You can detail afterwards if you want but if you follow my methods, you probably won't have much detailing to do.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info