• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Trans Shop

staticki

Sep 25, 2008
Let me start off by saying i just got a 04 cobra about a month ago.

Today i was trying to back up in reverse and the car makes a couple of loud clunks and pops out of gear. After trying to get it back into gear a few times it finally goes in and acts like normal for the rest of the day--or at least until i am trying to get home.

Trying to jump on i-80 it does the same exact thing, but this time dies on me in the process. Took about 10 minutes of fiddling with it trying to get it into gear and it finally goes in.

It sounds to me like a syncro and I dont have the knowledge to do a job like this. Does anyone know of a good reliable shop I can get this fixed at? I am really at a lost here as it is my only form or transportation right now.

about2bite

SVTNProgress
Oct 13, 2007
So it happens going into first as well? Or just reverse? If it is just giving you trouble going into reverse then you may want to simply check the reverse lock out solenoid and make sure it's working properly. The soleniod in next to the shifter on the drivers side. It's very simple to get to. If you are having trouble putting it into gear you could also check your adjustment, but if you aren't comfortable messing with the car at all then I guess taking it to a shop would be the best thing.

Goodluck

:toast:

staticki

Sep 25, 2008
So it happens going into first as well? Or just reverse? If it is just giving you trouble going into reverse then you may want to simply check the reverse lock out solenoid and make sure it's working properly. The soleniod in next to the shifter on the drivers side. It's very simple to get to. If you are having trouble putting it into gear you could also check your adjustment, but if you aren't comfortable messing with the car at all then I guess taking it to a shop would be the best thing.

Goodluck

:toast:

Thanks for the info--it doesn't have a problem going into any gears. After messing with it a little tonight it on seems to grind when I put it reverse and start to move.

staticki

Sep 25, 2008
Ended up taking it to RPM Transmissions in Daleville,IN and they did a fantasitic job. The entire drop, rebuild, and reassembly only took 5 hours and they where all a bunch of great guys.

Ended up being a snap ring broke and tore up some gears and syncros. So i ended getting new 1,2,3,4, and 6 gears, new syncros, and upgraded sliders and keys. Car feels like a completely new machine.

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Ended up taking it to RPM Transmissions in Daleville,IN and they did a fantasitic job. The entire drop, rebuild, and reassembly only took 5 hours and they where all a bunch of great guys.

Ended up being a snap ring broke and tore up some gears and syncros. So i ended getting new 1,2,3,4, and 6 gears, new syncros, and upgraded sliders and keys. Car feels like a completely new machine.

oops just saw this.

and damn, that sucks.

03GEETEE

The "2V" of Chitown
Feb 26, 2007

Rodney can do some SICK shit with sticks and slushboxs. Damage Inc uses him exclusively, great guy, great work, great service.

JTR:headbang:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info