• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

"Pinging" sound coming from my car

BlaqSnake

PC Pimp
May 13, 2006
Aurora, IL
I am hearing something that sounds like "pinging" coming from my car above 4500-5000 rpm in third and fourth gear.
Don't really hear it at lesser RPM.

Haven't really tried (or noticed) the sound in first or second gear.

Mods are as follows:
2.76, TR-6 plugs, CAI, Catted X, Stingers and KMS Tune

I have tried filling up with 100 octane, and also put Bob's "conservative" tune in the car. Neither of which has resolved the issue.

Car ran great up until about two weeks ago. I thought it could be bad gas, so I filled up with 8 gallons of 100.
Ran that tank down, and filled up with another 12.7 gallons of 100 tonight.
I always use Shell, Amoco or Mobil 93.

Anybody have any ideas on what could be the problem?

Thanks

about2bite

SVTNProgress
Oct 13, 2007
You could try your fuel filter, maybe plugs, possibly clean the maf and air filter... Also make sure the heat exchanger pump is flowing. If you can datalog that would help determine the issue as well. I'd take a look at the iat's if the other options don't stop it.

Maybe they filled thier 100 ocatne pumps with 87 :dunno:

Goodluck

about2bite

SVTNProgress
Oct 13, 2007
Yep and these cars love timing which is why you should feel a loss of power if the reason you are hearing that pinging noise is due to high iat2 temps, so if you can datalog you can find out what those numbers look like.

But if the car is pinging due to bad fuel the car will not pull timing, it'll just detonate.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info