• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Rear end gear? Anyone know? Timing advance?

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Mar 18, 2004
I have a 93 Cobra. I know the car is supposed to have a 3.08 rear gear. I am at 1900 rpm in 5th gear. Does that sound right? Also, I know on a regular 5.0 you should advance the timing to 14 degrees. Is this also true on a 93 cobra? Thanks

What speed are you at when in 5th at 1900 RPM? Also the stock timing with the pip out is set at 10 degrees. With the pip in the computer adds 16 degrees which would make your total timing 26 degrees.

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
If you're unsure of the gear ratio, you could always jack the rear end of the car, and mark the driveshaft. Turn one of the wheels, and count how many times the driveshaft goes around. If it's 3.08 gear, it will go around a little over 3 times.

Curt

Regular
Sep 23, 2007
Well, Im unsure of the ratio on a stock t-5 trans in 5th gear. I know the cobras have a different first gear ratio, but I think the rest are the same. Not sure what pip is....but I do know all of the old mags I read about modding the 5.0 mustang said to advance the timing from 10degrees to 14degrees. I was just wondering if that was something that should be done on a cobra as well.

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Mar 18, 2004
Well, Im unsure of the ratio on a stock t-5 trans in 5th gear. I know the cobras have a different first gear ratio, but I think the rest are the same. Not sure what pip is....but I do know all of the old mags I read about modding the 5.0 mustang said to advance the timing from 10degrees to 14degrees. I was just wondering if that was something that should be done on a cobra as well.

The pip is the small little jumper that you have to pull out in order to adjust the timing. If you follow the wiring harness from where it is plugged into the distributor you will see a small plastic jumper a little ways down. That is the pip. You need to pull that out, then set your timing, then put it back in. It is what lets the computer advance.

With the pip out you should see 10 degrees as stock. You can bump it up to 14 - 15 degrees which will give you 30 - 31 total advanced when the pip is in.

Hope that helps man.

Curt

Regular
Sep 23, 2007
Wow, I never knew that. Thanks. So, factory that car is set at 10 degrees. I would find the pip and take it out. Advance the timing to 14 and put the pip back in. Then the car should immediatly adjust to this right? Also, I should see some more power from this mod? Thanks for all the help.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info