• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

official weight reduction thread

SONICobra

ITS STOK
Dec 1, 2005
im going to try and put my car on even more of a diet this winter, really try to cut it down but without getting too crazy. if anyone has suggestions and maybe even some specific weight savings for parts it would be awesome.

heres what ive done so far...
- a/c delete - compressor, condenser, a/c lines to firewall (~100)
- rear seat delete and belts (~30)
- fixed back corbeau racing seats (~100)
- solid rear (~150)
- wipers and washer tank (~25 after taking motor out this winter)
- tubular k-member and front suspension (~50?)

so far thats roughly about 450lbs give or take off stock weight. im calling the turbo kit vs. supercharger system a draw. what else can be done? i want to keep my radio because i still listen to music while cruising, want to keep all interior trim, and im superstitious so want to keep the spare and jack.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
im going to try and put my car on even more of a diet this winter, really try to cut it down but without getting too crazy. if anyone has suggestions and maybe even some specific weight savings for parts it would be awesome.

heres what ive done so far...
- a/c delete - compressor, condenser, a/c lines to firewall (~100)
- rear seat delete and belts (~30)
- fixed back corbeau racing seats (~100)
- solid rear (~150)
- wipers and washer tank (~25 after taking motor out this winter)
- tubular k-member and front suspension (~50?)

so far thats roughly about 450lbs give or take off stock weight. im calling the turbo kit vs. supercharger system a draw. what else can be done? i want to keep my radio because i still listen to music while cruising, want to keep all interior trim, and im superstitious so want to keep the spare and jack.
IMO, you've already gone too crazy (unless it's a track only car). :dunno:

Look up "Almo" on SVTP and search for a thread with the weight reduction mods he's done to his car. You'll probably get a few good tips from it. :biggthump

SONICobra

ITS STOK
Dec 1, 2005
IMO, you've already gone too crazy (unless it's a track only car). :dunno:

Look up "Almo" on SVTP and search for a thread with the weight reduction mods he's done to his car. You'll probably get a few good tips from it. :biggthump

hahaha yeah, i guess its a little crazy but still very liveable. i never used my a/c anyway, literally never used it once in the time ive owned the car. the coarbeaus are still very comfortable, and yes it does have a little bit a rougher ride but eh, no pain no gain? does that apply here :dunno:

ill check out svtp, thanks :biggthump

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
hahaha yeah, i guess its a little crazy but still very liveable. i never used my a/c anyway, literally never used it once in the time ive owned the car. the coarbeaus are still very comfortable, and yes it does have a little bit a rougher ride but eh, no pain no gain? does that apply here :dunno:

ill check out svtp, thanks :biggthump
NP, Almo is the king of weight reduction.

I was just a bit bewildered......735 rwhp at a mere 14 psi and you're looking for weight reduction mods........what do you want that thing to do....go airborne. :D That thing must be pure insanity already.

SONICobra

ITS STOK
Dec 1, 2005

I was just a bit bewildered......735 rwhp at a mere 14 psi and you're looking for weight reduction mods........what do you want that thing to do....go airborne. :D That thing must be pure insanity already.

LMFAO! yeah i guess i dont really know anymore. its going to be even crazier when im doing 850 rwhp this summer :eek:

ive thought about taking out all the heater shit too as my boost controller is where the controls used to be and like the a/c never used the heater but i dont want to take out my dash, that smells like a disaster waiting to happen...

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn

Yea. Plus talks of 850rwhp. I don't see why with that kind of power (in a street car) you need to worry about weight reduction by removing things that are nice to have. You never use A/C ok. Not sure that would save 100# with out taking the under dash box out. Then you loose the heat. In spring and fall if is great to have the heat. Plus your defroster for the windshield and side windows.

I would think focusing on suspension parts and tuning needed to get the car to hook would be a better direction to go in. And some of them can save weight as well like the K member, A arms, light weight roll bars, etc. Put that power to the ground! :clap:

SONICobra

ITS STOK
Dec 1, 2005
Yea. Plus talks of 850rwhp. I don't see why with that kind of power (in a street car) you need to worry about weight reduction by removing things that are nice to have. You never use A/C ok. Not sure that would save 100# with out taking the under dash box out. Then you loose the heat. In spring and fall if is great to have the heat. Plus your defroster for the windshield and side windows.

I would think focusing on suspension parts and tuning needed to get the car to hook would be a better direction to go in. And some of them can save weight as well like the K member, A arms, light weight roll bars, etc. Put that power to the ground! :clap:

meh, like i said ive never used heat since ive had a daily driver so no biggie. suspension is all done already (k-member, control arms, solid, upper and lowers, coilovers, etc), this weight reduction is mainly to combat what typically is considered a bit of a pig of a car. im also going to have to put a cage in it eventually and thats going to add some weight back to it. this thread isnt really all about my car as well, meant more it to be more for anyone looking to cut a little weight.

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
Didnt see this thread until now, I posted this on cc's thread:
According to the byron scales my car weighs 3250 w/o me in it, Im 190 so I would be at 3440:dunno:
SRA
prostars all around
no front sway bar
no rear seat
no passenger seat
no spare tire
dumps
GT brakes all around
not too bad since I still have all the commodities like A/C, stereo system and power steering.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
meh, like i said ive never used heat since ive had a daily driver so no biggie. suspension is all done already (k-member, control arms, solid, upper and lowers, coilovers, etc), this weight reduction is mainly to combat what typically is considered a bit of a pig of a car. im also going to have to put a cage in it eventually and thats going to add some weight back to it. this thread isnt really all about my car as well, meant more it to be more for anyone looking to cut a little weight.

A/C components in the engine bay I can see. But 90% of people I know who pull their heat complain about the fact they did it or end up putting it back in. It is minimal weight reduction. And not having it on a street car can be a hassle. A chrome moly cage is the way to go. They can add 70# or so depending on design and such. Mild steel will be about 354-40% more I think I read.

Weight reduction is all fine and dandy. But at what expense of function? Is it worth it? Everyone is different. Some one like Larry and myself have been down this road before. Him with his GN and me with my 83 Capri. We learned and now we have pigs because we are not willing to let go of A/C, heat, P/S, etc. Choices everyone must make on their own.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
A/C components in the engine bay I can see. But 90% of people I know who pull their heat complain about the fact they did it or end up putting it back in. It is minimal weight reduction. And not having it on a street car can be a hassle. A chrome moly cage is the way to go. They can add 70# or so depending on design and such. Mild steel will be about 354-40% more I think I read.

Weight reduction is all fine and dandy. But at what expense of function? Is it worth it? Everyone is different. Some one like Larry and myself have been down this road before. Him with his GN and me with my 83 Capri. We learned and now we have pigs because we are not willing to let go of A/C, heat, P/S, etc. Choices everyone must make on their own.
:ditto: :headbang:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info