• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

My focus motor might b done.

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
54k on a well maintained motor, and it may be trashed. So today I'm traveling back from Dearborn MI, I went there for work and I got off to get some food and stretch my legs. I get back into my car pull out of the parking lot start to shift from 1st to 2nd and car bogs out and a slight Tink sound. Car dies out.

Cant turn it over so long story short I tow it to a shop that was luckily down the street, I tell them my story they think its the timing belt, (wrong). All 4 valves in the exhaust side r stuck open 1/4 inch gap between valves and lifters NOT GOOD. Timing belt is still on and tight so they r baffled they said it might b a bent rod(s) but they have to take it all apart and I wont know til monday.

I have never heard of an svt focus motor blowing at 50k, anyone have any idea what the hell is going on? The shop said and from what I persoanlly saw the motor was very clean the cam had no scores on them thats why they r stumped. And how much will a rebuild run me or a used motor? This really sucks, my car is 130 miles away from my house in Michigan and I now have to drive the cobra to work everyday.

Rotard

No respect
Jul 11, 2007
Foci are spotty like that, no clue how it happened you could try posting on one of the Focus sites like focusfanatics.com and focaljet.com. I get ideas about what is wrong all the time. On a side note it must be really hard for you to HAVE to drive the cobra boowho lol. I wish I could drive a Cobra when the Focus is broke, like right now.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
I'm far from an expert on these motors, but it sounds like the valves you saw stuck open are damaged/bent. This motor (from what I could find online) appears to be an interference motor and if the timing belt fails, the result is valve damage, at the least.

You are probably looking at repairing or replacing the head and a lot of valves and a new timing belt and tensioner.

I don't know that I would want someone 130 miles away doing the job, but that's just me.

frdtch05gt

complete car nut
Jun 29, 2005
Most likely the tensioner just gave up the ghost, it has been known to happen on the Zetec. You're most likely looking at a new cylinder head, timing belt, idlers, tensioner at minimum, possibly entire engine rebuild if there's significant damage to the pistons.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info