• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Another Retard Question

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
All right, here goes.

So, since I DD the cobra for now, recently, I have been having some problems with the car dying while I'm braking.

What I normally do when I need to stop, I put the car in neutral, release the clutch and stop normally. There are times when doing that, the RPM's go almost all the way to "0" and the car stalls. I have no idea what this is.

I know the alternators go after like 25K miles, but I'm only at 17. When the RPM's drop, the little red battery light pops on, and the car will stall unless I hit the clutch and rev a bit.

Any ideas?

shanker

Amateur Expert
Mar 14, 2004
It happened to me three times in my car. Once when it was stock and twice when it was pullied. I never got it figured though because it only happened a couple of times. I just never took the car out of gear when coming to a stop after that and it never happened again.

I had a 2.76, Steeda CAI, and a tune from Speed Inc.

SONICobra

ITS STOK
Dec 1, 2005
something similar happened to my car when it was stock. id be slowing down shift to neautral and be braking, the check engine light would come on and the car would die. once i was stopped i could start it right up again, light went away no problems. happened to me twice a couple years ago but that was it. i thought i heard of this being a somewhat common problem and the ecu just had to be reflashed or something but it didnt happen to me enough that i needed to take it in.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
All right, here goes.

So, since I DD the cobra for now, recently, I have been having some problems with the car dying while I'm braking.

What I normally do when I need to stop, I put the car in neutral, release the clutch and stop normally. There are times when doing that, the RPM's go almost all the way to "0" and the car stalls. I have no idea what this is.

I know the alternators go after like 25K miles, but I'm only at 17. When the RPM's drop, the little red battery light pops on, and the car will stall unless I hit the clutch and rev a bit.

Any ideas?
How's it idle? Do you have an XCal or Predator to log voltage and other parameters?

What kind of air filter setup do you have? Is it securely fastened to the MAF?

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
I have the stock tune, with an SCT Chip from when the car was pullied with other mods.

I am running a K&N FIPK. It seems like everything is pretty secure on it.

At idle, sitting in neutral at a dead stop, RPM's are around 500-600ish. The engine will make vibrations and it feels like the idle is very rough.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
I have the stock tune, with an SCT Chip from when the car was pullied with other mods.

I am running a K&N FIPK. It seems like everything is pretty secure on it.

At idle, sitting in neutral at a dead stop, RPM's are around 500-600ish. The engine will make vibrations and it feels like the idle is very rough.
Might need the tune tweaked.

Off the top of my head, I think my car idles around 750-800. Could be something throttle position or tune based. Some datalogs sent to the person that tuned it might shed some light. Any trouble codes in the ECU?

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
Mine did that when it was stock... Ford had a TSB about "the stall" issue. I think it can be addressed with a PCM flash. Are you still running stock tune?

+1, dealers could flash the new program, if I remember correctly the new ones that corrected this issue where AMZ1 or AMZ2, can't remember, but Sutton should be able to help you out.

about2bite

SVTNProgress
Oct 13, 2007
There was a stall issue, Ford has a fix for it but if you have a tune in your car you won't want to have Ford reflash it for you.

Are you running a larger lower pulley? That could cause you alternator to fail if you aren't running a larger alt pulley. If your battery recently went out that could have put added stress on it as well.

A vaccum leak

Some Ported Throttle Bodies

Dirty MAF

Tune

There are a lot of issues that can cause the car to stall like that unfortunately.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
There was a stall issue, Ford has a fix for it but if you have a tune in your car you won't want to have Ford reflash it for you.

Are you running a larger lower pulley? That could cause you alternator to fail if you aren't running a larger alt pulley. If your battery recently went out that could have put added stress on it as well.

A vaccum leak

Some Ported Throttle Bodies

Dirty MAF

Tune

There are a lot of issues that can cause the car to stall like that unfortunately.

I have not checked the MAF, but I will look at it tonight. I keep the engine and most of the more important components very clean.

The tune is stock, no upgraded pullies whatsoever. I will have someone at least check it out and see what's going on.

about2bite

SVTNProgress
Oct 13, 2007
I have not checked the MAF, but I will look at it tonight. I keep the engine and most of the more important components very clean.

The tune is stock, no upgraded pullies whatsoever. I will have someone at least check it out and see what's going on.

Well CNR makes some cleaner designed specially for MAFs, a lot of aftermarket air filters are pre oiled mroe than they need to be and can cause isses with the maf. The S&B filter I had on mine had way to much oil on it

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info