• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Launch help needed....

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
Car is bouncing quite a bit after the launch, and I have no idea what to do to calm it down.

I have qa1 adjustable struts up front. I have been running them on 2 or 3 out of 10 (10 being tightest) at the track. I actually got my best 60' BEFORE I installed these. I am getting very close to removing the struts and going back to stock ride height, but I will leave them in if I can get them to work better for me.

In the rear I have the strange adjustables and usually run them at 6 or 7 out of 10 (10 being tightest) at the track. Usually run the pass side one click tighter to try and reduce the roll.

My launch technique is pretty simple.... I stand on 2 step then pop the clutch. I have never tried preloading drivetrain like some do.

A couple vids for reference...

Are my settings jacked up? :dunno:

Any thoughts, tips, suggestions???

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
I suggest getting the noise up some to level the car. This will then put more weight over the rear tires. I also noticed in a pic where your tires where really wadded ( sp? ) up by too low of pressure.

The shock settings seem to be in the right area IMO.

+1, front needs to come up or slam the rear down. Last year I added iso's up front and rolled the fenders so I could lower it as low as possible in the back, and it helped. This was when I was still 6spd BTW..

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
very possible, can't wait to try some of the stiff sidewall et drags :biggthump

The stiff walls do make a difference. I have the stiff wall Hoosiers and I love em, they are probably comparable to the MT ET DRAG stiff sidewalls. You sure didnt have too much "dot life" left on those. They look similar to mine from last year, and 60' times started slipping slowly....I dont think they are sticky all the way down until the dots are gone, I think they start to go well before that.

doug@performance

Forum Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Carl,
Can you post up a slow motion version of the vid? It almost looks like that now that the front end can "jump" it could be bottoming out the rear shock causing the rear of the chasis to come back up fast and make it bounce.

The vid is to quick for me but if you try to hit pause it looks like the back end squats real good (good thing) but the shock gets bottomed and forces everything back up fast.

When you get home have a couple of people sit on the back to try to reinact how far the car squats and see how much travel you have left of the shock. You would not be the first person to have to add shock mount extension to your car from this problem.

Hope this helps.

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
Carl,
Can you post up a slow motion version of the vid? It almost looks like that now that the front end can "jump" it could be bottoming out the rear shock causing the rear of the chasis to come back up fast and make it bounce.

The vid is to quick for me but if you try to hit pause it looks like the back end squats real good (good thing) but the shock gets bottomed and forces everything back up fast.

When you get home have a couple of people sit on the back to try to reinact how far the car squats and see how much travel you have left of the shock. You would not be the first person to have to add shock mount extension to your car from this problem.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for chiming in Doug!! i will see if i can make a slow motion version. Will also have to try that wit the shocks.

batman

Surrounded by 10 points
Feb 21, 2005
I'd say tire it out with the new tires. Like others have said, the front end looks to be low, like mine. Thats why I haven't gone to the track yet. I'm thinking the shorter spring rate on the front isn't allowing the car to come back down at a slower pace. Try out the pro stars and if it still causes a problem try getting the front end up.

Go off of your older videos, see what has changed.

doug@performance

Forum Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
The airbag might help the initial hit of the chassis but that is going to be kind of a band aid.

If you can still check the travel on your shocks.

if they are bottomed out on the launch the only option you will have is to try to preload the launch so it does not have such a hard initial hit or bring your rpm launch down if you are going to just drop the clutch pedal.

Here are a couple of other things to check.

Check for any signs of oil on the rear shocks, This might cause the shock to collapse easy.

Adjust the knob on the rear shock from loose to tight and make sure that you feel a change.

Carl's going for 1.20 60's :eek::eek:

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
The airbag might help the initial hit of the chassis but that is going to be kind of a band aid.

If you can still check the travel on your shocks.

if they are bottomed out on the launch the only option you will have is to try to preload the launch so it does not have such a hard initial hit or bring your rpm launch down if you are going to just drop the clutch pedal.

Here are a couple of other things to check.

Check for any signs of oil on the rear shocks, This might cause the shock to collapse easy.

Adjust the knob on the rear shock from loose to tight and make sure that you feel a change.

Carl's going for 1.20 60's :eek::eek:

Thanks for the all the suggestions Doug!!! I will check out the shocks more closely this weekend and see what I can find.

I dunno about 1.2s, but I would be more than happy with some 1.4xs :headbang::headbang:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info