• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Upgrade: heads vs. nitrous?

94' cobra 351

Regular
Feb 5, 2007
I am planning on doing a supercharged 408 set up, one day. I decided I can't wait that long to make more power, so I am going to keep it simple for now.

I was told that my GT40p (ported & polished) heads are too small for the 351W. Does anybody have any knowledge they can shed on that? If they are way too small, I will most likely upgrade the heads... (suggestions on a good set of heads??)

If the heads suffice, I plan on getting a wet nitrous kit. I'm thinking somewhere between 100-150 shot. I'm a little worried I'll either break something in the engine, or destroy the T5.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

94' cobra 351

Regular
Feb 5, 2007
How much more power are you looking to add? .

As much as possible without major modifications or breaking anything. :D

I don't think the cam set up is really helping me much either. It is great when I'm sitting at a light, and the car is rocking back and forth, but I think that is all it's good for. It is a 292-292 duration with 512 max. lift.

Maniak

TCG Elite Member
Apr 17, 2006
Highland Park, IL
As much as possible without major modifications or breaking anything. :D

I don't think the cam set up is really helping me much either. It is great when I'm sitting at a light, and the car is rocking back and forth, but I think that is all it's good for. It is a 292-292 duration with 512 max. lift.

to get the best results out of the combo its best to go with a custom ground cam.

its hard to recommend things without knowing exactly what u have now, what are the specs of the motor?

94' cobra 351

Regular
Feb 5, 2007
The guy I bought the car from TOLD me some things about it, but didn't have paperwork for anything. I was doubtful, but I did see that the crank had been knifed, so I am pretty sure the rest of the info he told me was true...

It is a 351W, 1972 model (got the engine code)
He said it had 10.5:1 compression
GT40 heads (ported polished, and flow tested)
comp cams upper intake w/ 1 inch spacer.
24 lb injectors.
He did say the cam was a custom cam

Other than that, don't know much else. He did tell me he had it set up to run 150 shot, but he never got around to it. I'm still a little worried about blowing something, but it seemed like he did everything the right way (older guy with money, all work was professionally done)

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
The decision here is an easy one. You can make it on your own by answering these following questions...

Heads or nitrous...

1) Which mod will lead into making better power WHEN you do build the engine and supercharge it?
2) Which mod would you not be selling when you supercharge?

The nitrous is nice and all but only a means to a temporary fix. You will lose money when you resell the system. Unless you plan to run the supercharger AND nitrous once your built then don't bother. The heads would already be a logical step in the power making process for not only N/A but also blown as well. They will cost more than nitrous but it will be one less thing you will end up buying later on, and you won't lose any money on them because you wouldn't be selling them after the real build. The nitrous might be a little more run right now but doing the heads is the smarter move.

94' cobra 351

Regular
Feb 5, 2007
I definitely agree with you, but I don't think a set of heads that is good for my current set up will suffice for what I plan to do in the future. Plus, I am thinking it would be wise to go with a stronger block for the build I want to do. I'm afraid that 700HP will crack the current block I have. I have fallen in love with the new Man' o War all aluminum blocks. The 351 versions can be stroked out to 460ci. With that many cubes, I probably won't need a supercharger, just some nitrous, and I will be ver happy.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
I definitely agree with you, but I don't think a set of heads that is good for my current set up will suffice for what I plan to do in the future. Plus, I am thinking it would be wise to go with a stronger block for the build I want to do. I'm afraid that 700HP will crack the current block I have. I have fallen in love with the new Man' o War all aluminum blocks. The 351 versions can be stroked out to 460ci. With that many cubes, I probably won't need a supercharger, just some nitrous, and I will be ver happy.

Whatever plan you end up going for stick with it and don't deviate. Sometimes you can have your cake and eat it too. Other times you cannot. Once you start changing your mind here and there you will find it take one hell of allot more time and money to reach your initial goal.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info