• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Problems TR6 Plugs / Misfire / Problem Fixed

Curt

Regular
Sep 23, 2007
Here is some free information that I wished I had known.......

Bought my car end of Oct. last year. Drove it for a week or so and the first thing I wanted to do was add power. Joined this site and learned about adding a smaller pulley, chip, cat back and cai. For the money, seemed like a great deal. I took my car Hans (Deans repair) in St. Charles (per the advise of almost everyone on this site). Very nice guy, did a good job. I picked my car up and drove it home. FAST!!!!!!! Night and day difference. Great investment for the power. I parked my car that night, and as luck had it the weather turned bad and I choose not to drive my car again until spring. All winter I waited to drive her again.....

Fast forward to spring. I pull my car out and beat the hell out of it. I cant believe the power. Hard to even keep it on the road. After I get used to the power, I start driving it normally. As I am driving and crusing betweeen 1400-2200 rpms the car has a misfire in it. My wife actually almost gets sick rideing in the car. I think bad gas. Car sat all winter. I fill the tank with premium and I add a little fuel injecter cleaner. I drive it thru the tank...misfire still there. I call Hans at deans repair. He is not sure of the problem, but tells me to bring it by and he will take a look. From this point, until where I am at now I spent my entire spring and summer and over $2,000 in people guessing parts and "diagnostic" testing. I will save you from the details...but my car went back and forth from being stock to the performance parts three different times, I took the car to Hans (Deans Repair), I took the car to Sutton Ford, I took the car to three other ford dealers. I took it to a few local mechanics as well. I changed many, many, many parts. Mass air meter, IAC motor, Fuel filter, Coil Packs, Fuel Injectors,Fuel Pressure regulator, ect. None of these fixed the problem. (by the way, cleaning the mass air meter was not the problem either.) My misfire stumped everyone. Hans (Deans repair) spent hours on hours trying to find the problem and couldn't. Finsh line performance could not find the problem. Long story short.......after everything. It ended up being the spark plugs. I tried a plug installed by Hans (deans performance) dont remember the type and also the car had TR6's installed by Finsh line performace. All of these caused the car to misfire at idle and between 1500-2200 rpms. Car ran fine wide open throttle. Just a mis when crusing under normal driving and at idle.

So here is what I am getting at.......for some reasons....some cars run perfect with tr6 plugs. But for other cars, they do not. I am not a mechanic, but I ended up being the one who fixed my car. The fix......run the stock plugs. I don't know if this is safe....I dont know if I am losing power.....I dont know.....but the car runs great, does not have any spark blow out that I can fell...and most importantly.... I cant feel the slightest shake when crusing, never a misfire anytime or at idle.

I had people tell me every part you can imagine to replace on my car....Fair oaks ford in Naperville told me I needed a new engine, Yes, they said my car had valve problems causing the mis and I needed two new heads. The only consistant thing with my car was....everytime I put it back to stock to take it to Ford for diagnostics...the car ran great. Ford could never find anything wrong with it. I put the performance parts back on...car misfired like a bitch. Finally....putting the performance parts on...one by one.....it ended up being the plugs.

Hope this helps someone, I would not recommend TR6's to anyone. Also the plugs that Hans (deans performance) put in my car made it misfire as well. I have heard from another member on here who had the same problem as me that he switched his tr6's to tr7 irodiums and it solved his problem. I am driving and boosting my car with at 2.76 pulley with factory gap and factory plugs with no problem.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
The NGK Iridium equivalents of whatever plug I was running at the time always ran much smoother than the standard copper NGK plug. TR6IX vs TR-6 and TR7IX vs. BR7-EFS, the Iridiums had noticeably smoother idle and light throttle performance.

hazmat404

Addict
Apr 26, 2005
well i just picked up some tr6's today. should i return them and get something different? ill be looking to pulley it sometime this winter or spring but i was just doing a full cleaning (plugs, filters and everything) and these were the first i caught wind of. like i said, im stock now but will just be doing a pulley and tune in less than a year. worth getting something else or not without spending a buttload?

plus, you should know better than to let gas sit in a car for that long :)

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
When I finally put on the 2.76, I decided to go straight to the TR6i's instead of the regular TR6 due to all the stories I've read about misfiring.

I figured I'd just avoid that hassle from the start. So far they work fine and the car idles just like stock.

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
Hmmm... interesting. I used TR6 plugs in my car for years with no problems. I have them in my new engine, and I notice a misfire at light throttle. Can't really tell if it idles rough since I'm cammin. I thought I had a different isse, maybe MAF or opti spark. Maybe I'll swap in some Iridium TR6 and see what happens.

Thanks for the info. :)

hazmat404

Addict
Apr 26, 2005
now all this talk about spark plugs i gotta ask how much 1 heat range makes a difference? the tr6ix and the tr7ix. i have a 2.8 pulley and the rest of the parts arent far off. just need a weekend for an install then a tune date but i hear both. 6 or 7 on the heat range. whats the difference and if im really going to be done after a pulley whats a good heat range to be at?

Curt

Regular
Sep 23, 2007
Thanks for all the support guys. Sorry for all the B.S. Bob.....The plugs were all correctly gapped... I think around .32-.35. Currenty, my car has the stock plugs with .40 gap or whatever ford puts them at and its fine. Hope im not hurting anything like that, car seems to run fine, but of course I have not had it run through a full 110mph quarter yet. Im planning on going to Route 66 next tuesday for T&T...anyone going to be up there??

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info