• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Am I on the way to shredding a belt?

Mr. Unknown

Oct 26, 2005
I noticed this about 2 weeks ago. It was a little smaller and I just clipped it with scissors. I drove the car to the track and made a few passes it was fine and noticed it again tonight....

BeltShred.jpg

BeltShred2.jpg

Tom

aka T_Factor
May 21, 2005
Here and There
You might have an idler pulley going south on you.....i threw 2 belts before I realized the bottom idler next to the crank took a crap on me:eek:h:

OK, I semi-retract my last post. I am jumping on the Dragon03 band wagon.

That is what happened to me . Sounded like a buzzing - Slow99x can attest to this on my car as well. Belt started to show some wear. Then one day... The stock idler shit the bed and shredded my belt.

If there is no progressive wear... I would check out everything and if you deem no bad parts... Just replace the belt.

ITLLOWNU

oh hai!
Jan 1, 2008
its not a big deal, mine fray all the time just like that and sometimes in two or three spots. just keep an eye on it and make sure it doesnt grow:D

its just the threads in the belt that are near the edge that work loose and fray a litlle, i just clip mine like you did and call it a day.

i do carry a spare and a half inch ratchet with me just incase one goes so i can get home...ford should have put the alternater on the main drive belt:dunno:

Mr. Unknown

Oct 26, 2005
its not a big deal, mine fray all the time just like that and sometimes in two or three spots. Just keep an eye on it and make sure it doesnt grow:d

its just the threads in the belt that are near the edge that work loose and fray a litlle, i just clip mine like you did and call it a day.

I do carry a spare and a half inch ratchet with me just incase one goes so i can get home...ford should have put the alternater on the main drive belt:dunno:

+1

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
Well if running between the belt and idler left an indentation in the idler... I can only imagine it sliced into the belt which is where about it is shredding. Get a spare, run it until it dies, but watch it. That crap wrapping around stuff is not fun to clean up or good.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info