• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

belt tensioner ?

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
When I originally pullied my car I went with just the 100mm snub idler and the 2.76 pulley, I tried to get the full set of idlers but they were out of stock, Victor installed it for me and we used the stock belt with no issues and no belt slip... we were actually surprised that it fit.
Now fast forward to now, I finally got the rest of the idler pullies(two 100mm and a 92mm) My tensioner used to sit close to the middle between the two tabs but closer to the left... looking at the car from the front, I used the stock belt now with the rest of the idlers and it now sits in the middle but closer to the right side... does that mean its tighter or looser?
Here's a pic to illustrate it better:
008-8.jpg

wich tab do guys usually break to get the belt on tighter? the one on the left or the right?
Just trying to figure out if maybe now the belt is not as tight as it was before since I was getting some mediocre timeslips today at Byron, dont know if it was the weather or maybe I wasnt making full boost due to the belt not being as tight.

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
The tensioner pushing up is tighter... I learned that from my RR. That being said, I never knew you could break a tab to make it tighter, but I would suggest going to a slightly shorter belt, do you remember what the stock belt length is? I did find that shorter belt, know I need to remember what I did with it :lmao: I think it was a 74"

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
The tensioner pushing up is tighter... I learned that from my RR. That being said, I never knew you could break a tab to make it tighter, but I would suggest going to a slightly shorter belt, do you remember what the stock belt length is? I did find that shorter belt, know I need to remember what I did with it :lmao: I think it was a 74"
Ok so the tensioner is down lower than it was before so that means its not as tight, Carl mentioned something about being able to break the tab to make the tensioner travel a bit more, unless I break that tab on the right I wont be able to go take enough tension off to get a shorter belt...
But it makes no sense how I put bigger idlers on than stock and need a smaller belt:confused:
I think stock is 74.5..
you lost that belt again?:(:lmao:

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
I didn't lose it... I put it somewhere so I wouldn't forget it... and well, I forgot again ;)

I would imagine the tab on the right stops the travel as you said when you go to take belt off it's pushing the tensioner down, so I guess that makes sense to get a shorter belt on.

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
I didn't lose it... I put it somewhere so I wouldn't forget it... and well, I forgot again ;)

I would imagine the tab on the right stops the travel as you said when you go to take belt off it's pushing the tensioner down, so I guess that makes sense to get a shorter belt on.
let me know if you find that 74" inch belt, thats what Ill have to try on.
ps. im going to bed... you should too!

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
Breaking that tab off will allow you to slip on a smaller belt. That may help with belt slip if you are having an issue with that.
Also, removing one of the idlers when you are installing the new, smaller belt and then after the belt is installed, reinstalling the idler, we'll help in getting the belt over all the pulleys.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info