• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

do I need an alignment after i change my struts?

WhtSuperStang

Jack Bauer > Chuck Norris
Jun 27, 2005
I just put in a front strut from an 03 cobra and when i put it on the ground to go work on the other side the wheel looked all jacked up (top of rim tilting outward and bottom tilting inward)

did i somehow mess something up?

EDIT UPDATE:

well i put both in and the alignment isnt off by much at all, if i wasnt looking for it to be off i wouldnt notice most likely...but the wheels still have that slight bowed look...

onto another problem.. i replaced the Koni's because everytime i hit a bump id hear a metal crunch/collapse/smash kinda sound so i picked up these 03 struts for cheap...well i went for a ride and the noise is still there..

so far this summer i have done the following to my front suspension:

03 a-arms and ball joints
H&R race springs
03 struts
MM sway bar endlinks

what could be making this noise?

WhtSuperStang

Jun 27, 2005
no just see how bad the tires are wearing after about 50 miles

But why would it be bowed like that...wasnt like that with the crappy koni shocks i had on before...all i did was replace them with 03 cobra ones i got from Izzy.... mounted the wheel then put it on the ground and it looked like that...:crying: if i knew i had to dump more money i wouldnt have bought wheels to fit my 315 bfg's

WhtSuperStang

Jun 27, 2005
After swapping struts you should definalty have an alignment done. Any thing could be off, but more likely your toes is gonna be the farthest off if anything. Just my 02

Thanks!

Thanks guys for all the help!!

well i put both in and the alignment isnt off by much at all, if i wasnt looking for it to be off i wouldnt notice most likely...but the wheels still have that slight bowed look...

onto another problem.. i replaced the Koni's because everytime i hit a bump id hear a metal crunch/collapse/smash kinda sound so i picked up these 03 struts for cheap...well i went for a ride and the noise is still there..

so far this summer i have done the following to my front suspension:

03 a-arms and ball joints
H&R race springs
03 struts
MM sway bar endlinks

what could be making this noise?

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
?:confused:? would it be possible to have 2 broken motor mounts? cuz it prodominatly the drivers side and if you have your ear by the window its like right in your face but you can hear it in stereo if you hit multiple bumps... clunk left followed by a quieter cluck right (pass side)

i guess its possible, the car is 10 years old. They could just be loose or something. get under the car and check and retighten all the crossmember bolts. motor mounts/trans/kmember bolts.

WhtSuperStang

Jun 27, 2005
the ball joints i sure as hell hope not, they were take offs from an 03 and looked much better than the ones i removed from the car...

this bowing issue only happened once i put the 03 struts in, its not real bad but enough that im not happy.. i only removed the bottom iso from the front spring and it made the noise while the previous spring was in there with both iso's

grrrrrrrrr noises!

Egreen99

Addict
May 26, 2004
thats a deal right there $40 I payed $69 plus tax at sears and the alignment is still not that great this was after 03 bilstein install and steeda springs on a 99gt. car handles like a bitch now!!

did you swap out new strut mounts? if not look into those. There is so much stuff down there that can make that noise

Sway bar end links broken? mine were
tie rods
cv boot torn
loose bolts somewhere
rack bushings

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info