• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Broke a half shaft in half today at byron

ITLLOWNU

oh hai!
Jan 1, 2008
i had zero problems with my level 5s

with the right springs irs guys can cut 1.30s 60' times

its not as predictable as a solid but it does hook good when you got the right components

level 5s
irs bushings
diff brace
good springs
set of slicks and you can roll out

i only had problems with wheel hop on drag radials because you got to know how to launch on them. only took one broken stock shaft to learn:alcoholic

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
My personal opinion is just buy a used halfshaft for about $100 bucks and get AAA and learn to change them yourself, until you get more serious about what you want to do with the car. It's a hell of a lot cheaper.

+1

If you get a complete halfshaft, and pick up a couple tools you can swap a halfshaft out at the track pretty quick and easy.

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
If you plan on taking the car to the track often then definitely get a solid...

+1

If you get a complete halfshaft, and pick up a couple tools you can swap a halfshaft out at the track pretty quick and easy.

Unfortunately, this is always a hot topic with the IRS and launching, however I have broken only one and that was dropping the clutch and high RPM dumps and probably after 25 of those, it snapped. I have since changed my technique but still launch hard and replaced my last one with a used one and so far so good. I have an IRS, I launch pretty hard, I have a BF brace, full length SFC, and a good sidewall tire. Again, my advice, pick up a used halfshaft, replace it. By some 16" ET Streets/ Slicks and some dimamond racing rims and enjoy full traction at the track when you go, with some cushion for the shock.

sonic02gt

Kona Blue shelby
Sep 18, 2005
Sorry to hear that! But you will run into that with all that new found power you have. I wouldnt put a solid in if you are only going to the track once in a while. Just do the level 5s if you are that worried about breaking one again.

I decided not to go with a solid and ordered new style level 5 halfshafts http://www.lethalperformance.com/pa...-level-5-halfshafts-w-chromoly-inner-cvs.html

and ordered all IRS rear bushings :headbang: i shouldnt be breaking anything in the future well hopefully not :D

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
I decided not to go with a solid and ordered new style level 5 halfshafts http://www.lethalperformance.com/pa...-level-5-halfshafts-w-chromoly-inner-cvs.html

and ordered all IRS rear bushings :headbang: i shouldnt be breaking anything in the future well hopefully not :D

That's an expensive solution! But I'm a hater... ;) You could have bought 18 used ones or 3 used ones, ET Streets and DRR and still had a chunk load of money. :p How much you want for that stock one when you get it off? Let me know ;)

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005

Good luck with the new set up. But it does get a little deeper than just throwing in level 5's. Once you do that now your weak points in the car really start to show. Example now your differential will suffer because it will be taking on the load of hard launches I have heard of those things exploding, and even more your output shaft in the trans can snap. If you can afford it put a torsen diff and upgrade to 31 spline output shaft.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info