• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Something is wrong with my car(had a loud backfire then blower oil under hood)

Mr. Unknown

Oct 26, 2005
Driving on Iriving from a stop light I reved it up to about 3K and dumped the clutch. Ran out first then hit 2nd. As soon as I hit 2nd gear the car backfired and lost all power then shut off. I pulled over to the side of the road. let it sit for a minute. Had trouble starting. Idled ruff. Finally the car starts and idles smooth.

A little ways down the road in 2nd gear about 4K i punch it. Everything seems good. Get home. Looks like there is tree sap on the windshield, go to clean it off. Pop the hood just to make sure everything is ok. There is blower oil all right by the hood latch. A LOT of it and its on the bottom of the hood. The Blower Oil filler/dip stick doesnt have a drop around it. Clean off the oil. As I look down to where some of the oil dripped. I see in the back of the radiator fan a silver screw wedged in I can't get out.

Anyone have any ideas?

This is where the oil was when I popped the hood

OilLeak.jpg

Screw

ScrewFan.jpg

ITLLOWNU

oh hai!
Jan 1, 2008
are you running a KB or whipple?

the KBs will spit oil out of the snout of the blower if they are slightly overfilled when spun up to high rpm. ive only seen i happen on brand new blowers and most of the time they were on the dyno being tuned and they would smoke from the oil spitting out onto the belt. but ive never seen that much oil ..

i would also check all the vacume lines on the back of the blower. if they are not ziptied ,they can blow off at high boost and cause the car to fall on its face and run really stupid before it just dies.

had that happen to me once on a 2nd gear pull and i thought i blew the motor...it took me forever to find the little line that had popped off

01GTvert

TCG Elite Member
Jan 30, 2006

the KBs will spit oil out of the snout of the blower if they are slightly overfilled when spun up to high rpm. ive only seen i happen on brand new blowers and most of the time they were on the dyno being tuned and they would smoke from the oil spitting out onto the belt. but ive never seen that much oil ..

i would also check all the vacume lines on the back of the blower. if they are not ziptied ,they can blow off at high boost and cause the car to fall on its face and run really stupid before it just dies.

had that happen to me once on a 2nd gear pull and i thought i blew the motor...it took me forever to find the little line that had popped off

+2 on the vac line

Mr. Unknown

Oct 26, 2005

Hmm. No I checked the blower snout and didn't see anything. I skimmed over the vacum lines and everything seemed ok. Of course I dont know exactly where everything goes I'll have to take a closer look. My blower has about 1K on it.

Cliff was telling me to zip tie the lines last fall. I should have done that.

ITLLOWNU

oh hai!
Jan 1, 2008
Hmm. No I checked the blower snout and didn't see anything. I skimmed over the vacum lines and everything seemed ok. Of course I dont know exactly where everything goes I'll have to take a closer look. My blower has about 1K on it.

Cliff was telling me to zip tie the lines last fall. I should have done that.

from the location of the oil im pretty sure it came from the snout

ive seen it happen about 7 times and almost all had no evidence of the leak after it burnt off from the belt.

but like i said we never saw anything close to the amount of oil in ur pics

and that screw looks to be rather large:eek:

Mr. Unknown

Oct 26, 2005
from the location of the oil im pretty sure it came from the snout

ive seen it happen about 7 times and almost all had no evidence of the leak after it burnt off from the belt.

but like i said we never saw anything close to the amount of oil in ur pics

and that screw looks to be rather large:eek:

So what should I do. Just refil the blower and everything will be ok? WHy did it do that?

Is it coming from this hole

Pulley.jpg

ITLLOWNU

oh hai!
Jan 1, 2008
yes , the hole is for venting purposes it allows hot gasses to escape from the casing and will blow oil from time to time especially during WOT.

with the newly found rake on your car the oil level in the blower could be more towards the front causing it to spin up into the vent hole and thus blowing out especially if it was just slightly overfilled

i would just check the oil level very carefully and see how low it is, it might have just leveled itself off by blowing out

as far as the backfire goes it could have been a number of things but my guess is on a vacume line:D

can you tell what the screw looks like . it could tell us where it came from:dunno:

Mr. Unknown

Oct 26, 2005
yes , the hole is for venting purposes it allows hot gasses to escape from the casing and will blow oil from time to time especially during WOT.

with the newly found rake on your car the oil level in the blower could be more towards the front causing it to spin up into the vent hole and thus blowing out especially if it was just slightly overfilled

i would just check the oil level very carefully and see how low it is, it might have just leveled itself off by blowing out

as far as the backfire goes it could have been a number of things but my guess is on a vacume line:D

can you tell what the screw looks like . it could tell us where it came from:dunno:

Ahh thanks so much. the oil level looked fine. I will try and take a picture of it later tonight.

There is a picture in the OP of where the screw is.

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
That bolt looks pretty long and clean... check the idler bracket next to the supercharger pulley, there should be one on the top that holds it down.

If you can't find where it goes, could it be one that was loose just laying in the engine compartment that finally came out and hit the belt and was fired like a bullet?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info