• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

My SOLID thread...

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Well as most of you know, I'll be going with a solid rear end, and most likely going to do the swap over winter. For now, I'll just be getting the ARP wheel studs since my last incident.

I've already had a few conversations with a few people, and know what upper/lower control arms I'm going to go with, the springs I'm getting are from a Bullitt (Thanks Larry), Moser 31 spline axles, locker, and going to end up doing something with brakes. I've decided I'm going to get a nice set of slicks/skinnies (bogarts possibly) for next year. Along with doing a new clutch/flywheel/TOB.

As far as the gear goes, that is where I am a little wishy-washy. I'm considering either a 3.73 or 4.10. I plan on keeping with 28" tires in the rear for the future, and I'm thinking of possibly going with a 3.90 gear. Has anyone had experience with it? I think it would be a fair compromise to the 3.73/4.10.

Discuss...

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Bogarts are known to Taco on the streets and really, why change the wheels at the track if you do not have too.

Billet Specialties (out of La Grange, IL) makes some good look skinnies/fatties that are light weight (like Bogarts/Welds); however, can be safely driven on the streets. Check out their site

Speaking of which, are you going w/ a 8.8 or 9 inch rear? Are you going with the standard length axle tubes/housing or a shortened version (allows widers tires to fit)?

FUNDAD

Big Trouble in Little China
Apr 6, 2005
Gear = What RPM you feel comfortable being at as you cross the line at the track.

I have never raced on a 28" tire. All my times at the track have been on a 26" tall tire. When I had a 4.10 I was damn near having to shift into fifth or redlining the shit out of 4th gear as I crossed the white line. It didnt make that big of a deal on the road because of 6th gear which helped lower the RPMs for normal cruising.

When I built my live axle that I had, I went with a 3.73 and that was a perfect set up. I was just topping out 4th as I finished the 1/4 mile instead of how it was with the 4.10. Plus normal cruising was even better.

I think with a 28" tire setup you could run a 4.10 however I would still use a 3.73. I dont think you will need the extra torque benifits with your setup.

Just my opinion and again glad to hear your ok from what happened the other day.:biggthump

ITLLOWNU

oh hai!
Jan 1, 2008
jimbo,

go with 3.73s if you want to run a 28" tire. it will keep you at the perfect rpm at the big end. right around 6000 - 6300rpm depending on what you are trapping at, and around 138 - 140 mph. if you go any higher on gear you will be shifting to 5th . 3.73s are the perfect gear for 28" tires. and still a good gear for normal street tires. all the tourqe we make allows us to get away with less gear, and that helps with top end speed too. truthfully, thats where these cobras make there time up is from the 1/8 on.

and for control arms go with adjustable upper and lowers ,so pinion angle and ride height can be set right. and going between street tires and 28"s is as simple as turning a jack bolt to raise the car slighty for the bigger tire.

ive got all the mentioned on my car and have tried a few diff gears as well.
when i ran my 28" mts with 3.73s i was crossing the line at 6100rpm @ 137-138 consitently.

oh and go solid bushings as well if you plan on launching hard . if not you will be replacing urethane ones about every 15 passes. urethanes will distort and blow out during hard launches. (learned that the hard way too). the ride on the street will be noisy and a little rough but its the price we pay:biggthump

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info