• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

installing front a-arms

WhtSuperStang

Jack Bauer > Chuck Norris
Jun 27, 2005
really easy,

jack car up
remove brakes(rotor and caliper)
remove spring
unbolt control arm along with spindle attached.

really not hard, do you have any specific questions on it? shouldnt take you more than a hour or two.

Like i have replaced shocks and springs on these cars before but have never ventured into this project

yea i guess my question is on skill level to perform this. what kinda tools should i use, should thread locker be used on the bolts

Ive heard you need to move the steering rack to remove one of the bolts...is that true

how hard is it to swap over the spindle stuff to the new a-arm?

THanks for the posts guys!!

mustangmike2003

Regular
Nov 24, 2005
Like i have replaced shocks and springs on these cars before but have never ventured into this project

yea i guess my question is on skill level to perform this. what kinda tools should i use, should thread locker be used on the bolts

Ive heard you need to move the steering rack to remove one of the bolts...is that true

how hard is it to swap over the spindle stuff to the new a-arm?

THanks for the posts guys!!

Its easy, take the nut off the tie rod and the ball joint while the spindle is still on the car and hit the spindle with a hammer where they are going through to get it off. Don't hit the top of the of ball joint or tie rod with the hammer because you will mess up the threads.

WhtSuperStang

Jun 27, 2005
Its easy, take the nut off the tie rod and the ball joint while the spindle is still on the car and hit the spindle with a hammer where they are going through to get it off. Don't hit the top of the of ball joint or tie rod with the hammer because you will mess up the threads.

how is the re-installation what kinda torque specs do i need? should i use lock tight on the bolts?

mustangmike2003

Regular
Nov 24, 2005
how is the re-installation what kinda torque specs do i need? should i use lock tight on the bolts?

I dont really use a torque wrench on mine. I just use a half inch ratchet. I never used locktite. On the tie rod you can put a cotter pin through it just incase it loosens but I don't. I can usually get about 150ft lbs through my half inch ratchet...I just muscle the bolts that go through the a arms and the k member down as tight as I can get them.

WhtSuperStang

Jun 27, 2005
chris. im doing this today. when i am finished, i will write up a how to. :biggthump

Cool, i have gathered a lot of information and read my Ford Service Manual I have, im just over cautious when i do anything, just to help ensure success! lol But i would like to see the write up for sure.

My 03 a-arms should be here today and hopefully sometime this week my H&R race springs and MM sway bar endlinks

Maniak

TCG Elite Member
Apr 17, 2006
Highland Park, IL
one last question on this. Could this be done with hand tools? My impact is on the fritz so thats a no go.

I know i could get the front springs in and the rears possibly without the impact but im worried about the a-arms...

it will work but it will be tough. just make sure u have a big pipe extension for the breaker bar.

Maniak

TCG Elite Member
Apr 17, 2006
Highland Park, IL
i couldnt get shit done, i tried getting the bolts off by hand but that one I told you about wouldnt budge to save its life and im not going to strip the piss outa it.

what are you up to thursday? possibly saturday morning?

hit it with some PB blaster. let it sit, then try again. use a pipe on the end of the wrench.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info