• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

03/04 center console into a sn95

WhtSuperStang

Jack Bauer > Chuck Norris
Jun 27, 2005
Im going to start a how to here for future reference, i got my console today and cleaned it up and put the first coat of dye on it

before:
before2.jpg

After:
round1ofdye.jpg

I used VHT penetrating dye i bought at summitracing.com

everything bolt wise is plug and play, but there are some wiring harness differences i will address tomorrow after i apply more dye and wire the car up

Im sure Zach (maniak) will add to this as well with his experience.

I Know this isnt super tech stuff just more information out there for people to read

I'll update more tomorrow

UPDATE:
Finished dying it, didnt need much more

here are some color comparisons bewteen the stock piece and the new 03 dyed black. I think it matches really well
colorcomparison1.jpg

colorcomparison2.jpg

FINISHED:

The boot was made from the same pattern as the origional boot, but remade in black.
finished4.jpg

finished2.jpg

For the wiring portion of the console swap you will have to remove the console harness that came with it and replace it with the one that is currently in your car. (there are differences, and i can explain them, just dont want to type them all)

the power outlet stays the same for the shifter bezel but the connection for the sig lighter/secondary power source will be different since there is now one in the arm rest. I tackled this problem by cutting off the connector for the power outlet from the 03 harness and added wire extensions (make sure you know how to properly wire things when you do this) then spliced the ends into the wires that lead to the power outlet for the one in the shifter bezel. put the harnes back in and your ready to go.

WhtSuperStang

Jun 27, 2005
No i didnt swap it over, the color doesnt match well enough and i dont want to try and dye the leather, in the pic you can see i already removed it

Im having a custom ebrake boot made in black . I will post pics of it when its done

That interior paint looks really good that you linked me... post up in this thread to so others who want to do this swap can see what products are successful with properly dying the console... also post pics if you want

WhtSuperStang

Jun 27, 2005
For those who have never removed their center console here is how you go about it

1) pull off the shift boot and bezel (it is just snapped in) also remove the connection at the back of the aux power outlet in the bezel
2)you will see to bolts that connect it to the dash, remove those (these are torqs bit screws
3) then open the arm rest and remove the rubber bumpers around the inside tray. This will expose some gold color screws. Remove these and gentally pop out the inside tray
4) you will then see 2 more torqs screws like you saw before. Remove these. This should set the whole console free for the most part
5) Pull the E-brake as high as you can (helps with pulling the console out) and lift the console to expose the wiring, pull the connector that goes from the console to the main interior harness (this should set the whole console free
6) Work it around the e brake handle and other obstacles in the car and it should be out of the car

thats all there is to it.

WhtSuperStang

Jun 27, 2005
looks great!

what did u use to prep it?

prep the console? I used paint thinner, stripped everthing off the console (grease, wax, dirt, etc..) and the dye just seeped in beautifully! make sure to let it fully evaporate first before starting the dying process.... I have also had success back in the day with scrubbing down the parts to be colored with simple green...make sure you get every single corner of the console clean first

did you get your paint in?

Looks Great
Thanks im really happy with the final product

I think having the e brake boot in there now put a nice finishing touch on it, not to mention im very happy that now i have the power outlet in the arm rest wired and working :dancenana:

Maniak

TCG Elite Member
Apr 17, 2006
Highland Park, IL
prep the console? I used paint thinner, stripped everthing off the console (grease, wax, dirt, etc..) and the dye just seeped in beautifully! make sure to let it fully evaporate first before starting the dying process.... I have also had success back in the day with scrubbing down the parts to be colored with simple green...make sure you get every single corner of the console clean first

did you get your paint in?

yup, got the paint. i cleaned the console when i got it but im gonna have to do it again. im thinkin i might do it tomorrow after the picnic.

WhtSuperStang

Jun 27, 2005
so the dye comes in a spray can like spray paint?

yes, but it works amazing!!! it sprays like spray paint but its a dye, very very good stuff, i recommend this stuff to anyone else that will be doing something like this...

Also my buddy Tim (96cobra96) used an SEM dye that worked Incredible on his car:headbang:

once its dry and what not this dye isnt like paint, you cant scratch it off

lit

one bad motha!
Jan 28, 2008
yes, but it works amazing!!! it sprays like spray paint but its a dye, very very good stuff, i recommend this stuff to anyone else that will be doing something like this...

Also my buddy Tim (96cobra96) used an SEM dye that worked Incredible on his car:headbang:

once its dry and what not this dye isnt like paint, you cant scratch it off

will it get the runs like spray paint?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info